Patagonia R1 Fleeces.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pedro 23 Jan 2020

Hi I'm looking to the good people of this parish for help. I've 2xR1 hoodies and 1xR1 fleece. All 3 now have what I can only describe as a charity shop smell. Ive washed them the same as and with my other fleeces which are fine. I have soaked the R1's overnight in anti bacterial soap liquid.(hand soap) Then used the machine with liquid wool wash, two days after they are dry it's there again. I can't believe that using recycled fleece can cause it, but no other fleece I have owed has been like this. Any suggestions? I did email Patagonia without responce. 

I have fleeces made by/for Rab, Mountain Hardwear, North Face, Haglofs, Berghaus, Marmot, Outdoor Research and Arc'teryx (What a Tart !!) All with no problems even when washed together. 

Help would be good, Comedians do your worst !

Thanks Pedro

Basemetal 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

Suspect polyester's affinity for oil (as in sweat) is the problem. Try soaking in baking soda solution, a cup to a bucket of water, initially as hot as the fleece can stand and for as long as you can , 24hr +, stirring occasionally. You may have to repeat, but it will work.

Edit: I forgot, then hang outside, whatever the weather, to air dry for as long as you can.

My wife reminded me she machine washes with Ace bleach before the baking soda soak. But that's with actual charity shop fleeces...

Post edited at 21:59
 SebCa 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

Is it worth contacting Patagonia Worn Wear dept? I appreciate they repair but they may be best placed to advise. 

anyha 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

I have used white vinegar and hang outside, if sunny

OP Pedro 23 Jan 2020
In reply to SebCa:

All 3 bought separately brand new have the problem, I will try to contact Patagonia again, I don't have much faith.

Cheers Pedro

Mal Grey 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

I've not noticed any different with my R1s, they smell just as bad as all my other fleeces! Mostly of woodsmoke from sitting under too many tarps in front of fires. Warmer than the others though!

OP Pedro 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

Thankyou, Basemetal, Mrs Basemetal, SebCa for your helpful suggestions. I'll try the Ace bleach first I think.

MalGrey, yes the R1 is the best fleece I've owned. I'm just surprised how they can smell without being on an extended trip. When I've worm anything else to the point of it smelling, simple washing has always done the trick. All mildly amusing as my Indian name was Wishy Washy !!

Cheers Pedro

OP Pedro 25 Jan 2020
In reply to anyha:

Sorry anyha, I missed you out ! 

Thanks Pedro

bouldery bits 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

My R1 just smells funky. 

I might try the vinegar trick.

Post edited at 09:22
 Ander 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I’ve had mine 15 years and it’s fine. 

I do have an issue with a capilene of similar age, but it’s close to life expired.

i think it’s all in the washing/drying. I think you can buy special laundry liquids for polyester, though there may well be a vinegar/ baking soda/ napisan trick out there that’ll help to fix the issue. 

ColdWill 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

Do you wash them hot or cold? Hot is important I think. 

blurty 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Pedro:

This stuff works: http://www.sinkthestink.com/

(even on smelly rock boots!)

OP Pedro 27 Jan 2020
In reply to ColdWill:

30 degrees with tea tree oil liquid soap and WoolWash. No other fleeces have been a problem even when washed together.   

Once again thanks for all suggestions.  Pedro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...