Paramo advice please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Singinghound 29 Aug 2020

Having struggled with membrane hardshells for quite some time (even top end jackets), I had an opportunity to try a Paramo smock, and really get on with it so am buying my own. 

For those who have consistently used Paramo over time, are there pros and cons between smocks (Velez Evolution) and jackets (Enduro). Use is year round 2-3 day mountain trips in the UK, plus daily excursions to the moors.

I am spending more time in the hills, so could justify owning both a smock and a jacket if the long term benefits are significantly different. 
Thanks for your thoughts, and advice. 

Myfyr Tomos 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Singinghound:

I own both the Enduro jacket and an old Aspira smock. Both are bombproof. The smock is probably slightly warmer but the jacket is certainly more versatile. I hate the hand-warmer pockets on the smock -having to open the side vents to access them . Not nice in deep midwinter. Also, so, so easy to lose things you think you've placed in your pocket when in fact they just drop to the ground from inside the garment. Maybe I'm just clumsy...

Trangia 29 Aug 2020

I've owned both in the past and whilst a smock is warmer and likely to be more waterproof as there is no full length zip down the front, a potential weakness in the waterproofing, I still prefer a jacket because it's much easier to regulate your body temperature by adjusting the size of the zipped opening even in winter, when you are slogging up a steep hill and building up a sweat.

Prof. Outdoors 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Trangia:

It could be easier to ventilate a smock if it has two side zips like the Velez. I wear Buffalo Special 6 in wnter and it is easy to dump heat by opening the side zips.

I own a Velez which is comfortable, has two side zips but only use it for cool weather rock climbing. Dangerous results for me when wearing it poor weather. Nearly hypothermic, soaked through to the skin and took ages to dry out. Would not consider using it in the mountains.

I recognise there are lots of Paramo lovers out there but like Buffalo, they are Marmite items.

Post edited at 18:46

My 2p, I’m in the smock category every time for hills/mountains. I’ve got both smocks and jackets. 
Personal preference, but to me smock is far more versatile particularly wearing a rucksac, and I like the generally shorter length. They are pretty baggy though!

If you like Paramo, then worth looking at Cioch clothing - https://www.cioch-direct.co.uk. Basically same but different and for some friends their made to measure, alterations and adaptations at customer request were more important than the Paramo brand name. I have not bothered and just accept Paramo’s off the shelf sizing, colours, etc.

Wheelsy 30 Aug 2020

I've got both a Velez Adventure Light and, more recently, an Enduro. The Enduro is noticeably heavier, bulkier and warmer and generally feels like a winter only jacket. I haven't worn it since January in fact. I prefer the smock design of the Velez more anyway - you can often have both side zips fully open in the pouring rain and get very little water in due to their position. I also much prefer the single kangaroo pocket for stashing items away - I'm not keen on walking with things in 'normal' jacket pockets where they interfere with my rucksack hip belt. Both jackets have been great though. I probably go over the top, but I wash and reproof them after practically every use. You can buy Nikwax in 5 litre (or even bigger) bottles so it doesn't end up costing much more than washing my normal clothes. I don't think I'd get on with the Velez Evolution though. I can't think of anything more annoying than having both zips open and a big flap of fabric hanging down and flapping away in the wind under my chin. Plus the location of the zips runs under where your rucksack straps would go I would guess. 

girlymonkey 30 Aug 2020

In true UKC style, I am going to answer a different question which you didn't ask! But, incase you haven't found it yet, there is a Paramo seconds shop on eBay. Once you know what you want, it's worth checking there incase they have it.

hbeevers 31 Aug 2020

The Velez evolution has 2 long zips running down it so can be used like a smock or jacket (with offset zip). I didn't like the fabric flapping about or being unceremoniously tucked away when you've not fully zipped up but otherwise loved the fit of it. The hood was great as well.

The smocks tend to be shorter cut. No problem if you're wearing waterproof trousers, otherwise your trouser pockets get soaked.

Otherwise there's not too much difference!

Ridge 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

> I own a Velez which is comfortable, has two side zips but only use it for cool weather rock climbing. Dangerous results for me when wearing it poor weather. Nearly hypothermic, soaked through to the skin and took ages to dry out. Would not consider using it in the mountains.

Similar experience with my velez (the older model with detachable hood). Wore it in cold, very rainy weather on Bowfell, water was pouring in through the neck zip. Still wear it a lot as it's comfy, really hard wearing and 'water resistant' if it rains, but not suitable for mountain conditions.

My 18 year old cascada jacket is much better, but there seems to be a point with paramo where it suddenly fails after really heavy ,incessant rain. 

Jasonic 31 Aug 2020

I prefer the Velez adventure- I mostly use it in Scotland in Winter- it replaced an older version with the detachable hood. I suggest which one fits best- avoid overcomplicated jackets/smocks with too many features... Also have a really light & standard hardshell depending on weather..

nastyned 31 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

As a tightwad before i got my first paramo I waited for the end of season sales. When a new version comes out the you'll find in online shops unpopular sizes and colours of the old version going cheap. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...