Outdoorsy toddler carrying options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 04 Mar 2021

With summer and 1st birthday approaching I'm looking for a backpack style child carrier that is comfortable enough for both of us for a day in the hills.

So far my mrs has been pointed at an option from decathlon: kids deuter comfort lite baby carrier

and something called: Phil and Ted's Parade Carrier. Sorry, the links to both are both super-long.

Both look fine in so much as I don't really know what not ok look like

I'm going to lobby for another visit to the sling library but she's itching to get out of town the minute lockdown eases so all recommendations or anti-recommendations welcome, I may have to choose without trying in order to keep the peace.

I have a freakishly long back if it makes any odds.

jk

cb294 04 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

We had a macpac vamoose carrier that worked very well for my long back.

It also had  the same carrier system as my trekking backpack at the time, so no issues there with carrying a child all day long!

It did, however, not have the option of folding out some stand, so you had to hold the pack when taking it off.

However, IMO this is an essential safety feature. Even though, by pure luck, nothing happened, the toddlers of several of our friends managed to topple their Deuter carriers with their folding  chair-like system.

The macpac carrier seems to be out of stock, though, but  you should be able to pick up a used on in decent shape. Baby carriers are a typical item that either gets used quite heavily or not at all!

CB

In reply to jkarran:

I reviewed this last year, back when our daughter was in/around the same as yours (i.e. 1ish), and it's been great. Unsurprisingly it's seen a lot of use since and is still going strong.

Sadly I haven't used the Lite version, or the Macpac models, but am more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the Pro.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/deuter_kid_comfort_pro-12751

hpil 04 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

11 years since we were in that situation, but we had a macpac one which was great - can't remember the name but it didn't have the zip-off day sac. It did have a decent base strut so it could free stand - great until daughter #2's legs were long enough to reach the floor and then we we put it down she could hotch her way across the floor! The stand could be folded for convenient packing into a car if needed, but you had to open up the base compartment and move some white locking collars, so it wasnt intended as frequent / every time arrangement.

Friends had a Deuter one and the kids seemed to sit really high in it - they got a good view buy also got wiped out by low branches if you forgot how much they stick up above your head.

Osprey ones supposed to be good, but dont know anyone who had one.

Andy Hardy 04 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

We had a deuter one (I think, it was a few years ago) it was great. Get one that has a decent rain cover (preferably transparent) that can go up if there's a cold wind as well as rain (we learnt that the hard way!)

Dave Todd 04 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

We had a Macpac Possum - Brilliant!  Used it loads and loads.

One of the best features was a little mirror (plastic, not glass!) that clipped into a pocket on the waistband and gave you the opportunity to check if child was asleep etc (or just to make some eye contact!)

stuartf 04 Mar 2021
In reply to hpil:

We have an osprey Poco. It's been good and had an adjustable back length which might be useful. Not sure if it will extend to "freakishly long" though!

In reply to jkarran:

Another vote for the Deuter. The stand and the rain/sun cover were very useful but I suspect they all carry well. 

For what it's worth (possibly not much), if I was going to do it again we would have been perfectly served with second hand. We got lots of use out of it but number one wanted to get out ASAP ("I'm a big boy"!) and number two wanted to be like her big brother (except she wasn't, the lazy arse).

Sale value seems decent either way. 

Enjoy! 

In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Ditto a lot of this. 

I don't know anything about the Lite, when I was looking it was a choice of Kid Comfort 1, 2 or 3. 2 seemed the best compromise as it had the bag underneath the seat and didn't have the massive headrest...

I think the ones mentioned upthread (Deuter, Macpac, Osprey etc) are all so well regarded that they would all be good. It may just come down to personal fit, adjustabilty if being used by different people, price. If you can find somewhere it may be useful to try as many as possible. I have a vague recollection that we ruled one out (osprey one possibly) because it wasn't as comfy as the Deuter. 

In the end we got a good condition second hand Deuter Kid Comfort and it has lasted 3.5 children and still going strong. 

Edit to add...... that of the two (and having looked at pics of the two in contention) I would go for the Deuter, looks more adjustable IMO and has more proven track record - the P&Ts i don't think are as established as baby carriers. FWIW we also have a Phil and Teds buggy and been v impressed, is built like a tank. 

Re. Baby carrier over sling. Baby cariers have the invaluble feature of being able to be used as a high chair for meal stops.  Saying that we also had a Tula carrier (like a sling, but with a proper hip belt) which is nice compromise. Packs down much smaller than the Deuter, better when don't need anything quite as technical. Won't last as long though. If baby is approaching 1, then opportunity for using slings may be getting smaller??

Post edited at 21:40
OP jkarran 04 Mar 2021
In reply to Christopher Smith:

Thanks everyone, that's all given some food for thought. Another chat with the wife has reminded me our requirements are quite modest, an old dog and my knackered feet limit walk lengths anyway.

Jk

AlanLittle 04 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

I had a Deuter Kid Comfort when my son was small. 

It worked ok, but you need to be aware that a child is a far more awkward load to carry than a rucksack of similar weight - they're a compact mass sitting higher and further from your back than the loads you're used to, even when they're not excitedly jumping around.

David Cowley 04 Mar 2021
In reply to stuartf:

Another vote for the poco. Served both of ours up to age 3 and a half. No faults,  just a great carrier and they retain a decent sell on price.  Super comfy,  great storage and with the sun canopy and water proof it turns into a micro climate for whoever is inside 

Becky E 05 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

There's been a recent spate of babies/toddlers in a big group of friends over the last few years.  The Osprey carrier comes highly recommended by many of them: it looks bigger than some of the others, but apparently very comfortable to carry and secure for the little one.  One friend fell over and hurt herself - the kid was fine!    It seems to fit adults of different sizes.  And the raincover seems to be more robust than some, so kiddy stays dry and out of the wind.

Jon Greengrass 05 Mar 2021
In reply to jkarran:

I didn’t get on with rucksack style carriers because I found them heavy, uncomfortable and dangerous because they altered my centre of gravity. I would recommend trying a soft style carrier like a Connecta to see which style of carrier you prefer. Your local sling library will no doubt have one of similar style to try.

In reply to jkarran:

Sorry, nothing useful to add but I’m just replying to this so I can find it again as we’ll need to be looking at this these in the near future. Thanks

timjones 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> I didn’t get on with rucksack style carriers because I found them heavy, uncomfortable and dangerous because they altered my centre of gravity. I would recommend trying a soft style carrier like a Connecta to see which style of carrier you prefer. Your local sling library will no doubt have one of similar style to try.

I found the same thing and worked with a mix of allowing our daughter to toddle along at her own pace, shoulder rides and a simple large square of fabric to tie a sling when it was required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...