Outdoor Research Ferrosi trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve read the online reviews and they sound pretty good. Interested though in UKC experience of these trousers.

How well do the jeanstyle pockets work with harness? Clearly decent rockclimbing trousers, would they be on balance too cold for skitouring?  

crustypunkuk 16 Dec 2018
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

They're pretty relaxed fit and styling and are very comfy under a harness. They are however very lightweight and suitable really only for summer stuff.

I also found as a result of the lightweight fabric that they pilled up very quickly too.

For winter stuff i have the outdoor research cirque trews and rate them very highly.

Martin Bennett 16 Dec 2018

OR Ferrosi are my most favourite climbing trousers for warm conditions. They're lightweight and stretchy and very comfortable esp. round the waist with a harness. The pockets are very deep so I find the leg loops of the harness keep items in the pockets. 

Defo not for ski touring as they're pretty thin light material. Not that hard wearing either for the same reason, but they're so comfy it's worth replacing a bit more often. 

The other chap was right to mention the relaxed fit - I'm a 32/33" waist so usually medium but find the medium in Ferrosi a bit slack.

random_watcher 16 Dec 2018

I have used them for spring ski touring in the Alps (March/April) and found they worked well and were very comfortable, wouldn't want to use them for anything colder though.

I did carry lightweight waterproof overtrousers that I didn't use. I found on sunny days on long glacial slogs in the sun the lightweight nature of the trousers was a big plus.

cragtyke 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I agree with all that martin said, and they did pill a lot with the leg loops as well.

jam 17 Dec 2018

Largely agreeing with Martin's comment above.

Comfortable, but the fabric verges into slightly too stretchy, to the extent that it feels almost saggy.

They also pill  up ridiculously fast, two or three days in a harness saw them looking a bit tatty.

The other chap was right to mention the relaxed fit - I'm a 32/33" waist so usually medium but find the medium in Ferrosi a bit slack.

I bought mine three or four years ago when I was a 30" waist, and the small size was very baggy. Now I'm 33" and they fit perfectly. But because of the stretchy fabric, I still need to use a belt for them to feel secure. They are the only outdoor trousers I've ever used that require a belt. 

Post edited at 00:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...