Osprey Mutant 38 - stay reference

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smbnji 02 Feb 2023

Hello! 

After a couple of years of hauling gear around, the aluminium stays in my Mutant 38 have become somewhat deformed.

I have no reference for what shape they should be in, so if anyone also has a Mutant 38 (~2020) and would be so kind as to remove the aluminium stays and photograph their contours.. it would be much appreciated!

TobyA 02 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

How do you know they've deformed? If they feel un-comfy at some point, you can just bend them there to fit to your back better surely?

OP smbnji 02 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> How do you know they've deformed?

Because they are both different shapes, neither of which are comfortable.

> If they feel un-comfy at some point, you can just bend them there to fit to your back better surely?

Well they feel uncomfortable now, and I'm requesting a guideline for which shape to bend them back into.

​​​​​​

TobyA 02 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

> Well they feel uncomfortable now, and I'm requesting a guideline for which shape to bend them back into.

Normally it is an S bend, staves go out from the neck to go over your shoulder blades then in following the contour of the the small of your back, and then back out a bit over the top of your bum. 

OP smbnji 02 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks, this is helpful!

Ben Callard 02 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

I wish my Mutant had back stays. It must be 2010ish, and floppy as hell unless packed out. 

jpd 03 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

Not sure how old mine is (maybe 2017). For scale, the centre deviates about 3cm from the "elbows".

OP smbnji 03 Feb 2023
In reply to jpd:

That's amazing, thanks so much!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...