Ordinary mobile.. but can send/receive text via satellite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CantClimbTom 06 Sep 2022

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62796363

Watching with interest...

Is this a good thing, potentially the ability to make an emergency SOS or to be able to call in to say OK when away from mobile signal. Or is it a bad thing that it further encourages people to carry and depend on mobile phones when out on "adventures"

elsewhere 06 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Overall technology such as compass*, paper maps, waterproof fabrics, dedicated GPS and do it all phone are positives. 

*tried to put into chronological order but not sure which came first for leisure use - compass or maps.

ianstevens 06 Sep 2022

This isn’t new. Garmin sell a couple of devices with this capability already, and they aren’t anywhere as expensive as an Iridium phone (which is actually cheaper than an iPhone Pro anyway…).

For me it’s very nice to know that if I’m out solo and have no phone signal, I can let someone know I’m a) fine, b) running late or c) have changed my plans. Very useful for preventing any unecessary callouts. Moreover, it’s super reassuring to know that I can call for a rescue if I need to. Doesn’t mean I take more risk at all.

Edit: I honestly have no idea why anyone would think this is a bad thing??

Post edited at 09:49
 GrahamD 06 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

I guess it's only bad if it raises the expectation of being able to call out a helicopter at the first sign of blisters ?

OP CantClimbTom 06 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> ...Very useful for preventing any unnecessary callouts....

Agreed, some time ago a mate and I ran very very late in a "mini adventure" as it took longer than expected + we struggled with some route finding. Got back above ground right at our latest check-in time but we were still 30 mins at a jog away from any phone signal. Luckily? the callout was my mates girlfriend who'd gone to bed and only noticed our message the next morning so didn't raise the alarm. When I saw this device I though how useful this device could be to prevent unnecessary callouts! That's why I am watching it with interest.

>...Edit: I honestly have no idea why anyone would think this is a bad thing??

yes mostly in agreement, having more tools and options available is good. But it worries me that *some* people may be further encouraged to reduce all safety and navigation equipment to a single device - i.e. only have a phone and become entirely reliant on it

Post edited at 10:41
 midgen 06 Sep 2022

Having been wavering over buying an InReach Mini for a while, for solo trips in the mountains, having emergency satellite connectivity in a mobile would definitely appeal. Rumours the new iPhone will have it....we shall see.

Although the advantage of the Garmin devices, when used with a watch (I have a Fenix), is it'll detect an accident and raise an SOS automatically if you're unconscious....which I doubt these phone options will.

Ridge 06 Sep 2022
In reply to midgen:

> Although the advantage of the Garmin devices, when used with a watch (I have a Fenix), is it'll detect an accident and raise an SOS automatically if you're unconscious....which I doubt these phone options will.

I don't see why not, the incident detection on a Garmin watch triggers a signal from a phone via the connect app, so I'd imagine any smartphone with satellite capability would do the same.

The problem with the Garmin detection is it's fine for road biking and running, but is disabled for pre loaded activities like MTB where it will trigger accidentally. 

BuzyG 06 Sep 2022

It can only be a good thing from a safety perspective.   I would expect in a few years they will be standard kit.  How many satellites in the sky is a question that's up for debate.  Less phone masts on the ground is a bonus though.

ianstevens 06 Sep 2022
In reply to midgen:

Rumours for the new iPhone are InSAR contact only and only in North America; if I have understood them correctly. The garmin options let you send anything in any location. Way better IMO.

ianstevens 06 Sep 2022
In reply to BuzyG:

> It can only be a good thing from a safety perspective.   I would expect in a few years they will be standard kit.  How many satellites in the sky is a question that's up for debate.  Less phone masts on the ground is a bonus though.

The existing iridium network has pretty much global coverage aside from the extreme poles

ianstevens 06 Sep 2022

> Agreed, some time ago a mate and I ran very very late in a "mini adventure" as it took longer than expected + we struggled with some route finding. Got back above ground right at our latest check-in time but we were still 30 mins at a jog away from any phone signal. Luckily? the callout was my mates girlfriend who'd gone to bed and only noticed our message the next morning so didn't raise the alarm. When I saw this device I though how useful this device could be to prevent unnecessary callouts! That's why I am watching it with interest.

Again, I’d just buy an inreach mini now and keep the phone you have/want. 

> >...Edit: I honestly have no idea why anyone would think this is a bad thing??

> yes mostly in agreement, having more tools and options available is good. But it worries me that *some* people may be further encouraged to reduce all safety and navigation equipment to a single device - i.e. only have a phone and become entirely reliant on it

For sure. But how often are people completely reliant on a single “device” (ie map and compass) now? 

midgen 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> I don't see why not, the incident detection on a Garmin watch triggers a signal from a phone via the connect app, so I'd imagine any smartphone with satellite capability would do the same.

You have more faith in the interoperability of products from big tech companies than I! In principle yes, but I would be flabbergasted if a Garmin incident detection could be configured to send a satellite message via an iPhone....we can but hope though. 

GrahamD 06 Sep 2022
In reply to BuzyG:

> It can only be a good thing from a safety perspective.   I would expect in a few years they will be standard kit.  How many satellites in the sky is a question that's up for debate.  Less phone masts on the ground is a bonus though.

The odd very low rate satellite communication won't have any impact on the massive terrestrial data traffic and hence masts.

BuzyG 11 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> The existing iridium network has pretty much global coverage aside from the extreme poles.

Thanks for the info. An interesting read.  It will likely take far more bandwidth though, once we all have a sat phone. Alas that will likely require more satellites.

Intrigued to know the reason for disagreement to my earlier post. From those who applied it?

StuPoo2 13 Sep 2022

I "think" it's only US & Canada initially.  

midgen 13 Sep 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Yes I was interested in this.....but alas, North America only, for at least a year most likely. Android is adding satellite support in 14, so likely the next year's round of Pixel phones (Pixel 8) will support it.

Neil Williams 13 Sep 2022

> Or is it a bad thing that it further encourages people to carry and depend on mobile phones when out on "adventures"

I don't see any negative in carrying one.  It might work, it might not.  If it does, it might save your life.  If it doesn't, you're in the same position as if you didn't carry one.

They have saved many lives.

OP CantClimbTom 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've no problem with people carrying one, in the last 12 months or so I've started doing that myself (mainly because mobile cameras are now so good even in very low light), I just feel uncomfortable on people depending on them, like it's their only method for callout, SOS, navigation etc etc. That scenario is likely to be people out walking because of some Instagram pic location rather than seasoned walkers/climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...