Ordering from eu shops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 01 Mar 2021

Just wondering if anyones ordered stuff from europe,and how long did it take to arrive after 1st jan.Ive ordered a couple of trousers i couldnt find here in the uk with the intention of sending one pair back.I hear also that a cn23 form has to be filled in to return the unwanted item,  does the form come with the goods, or is it done through the post office,cheers.

SNobbs 01 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

I've ordered a couple of things. A small order from Trekkinn (£30 or so) took 10 days to arrive from purchase. A set of skis from Snowleader took a rather more scenic route around north France & probably took 3 weeks. 

All arrived OK but I wouldn't want to face the hassle of doing a return. One thing to bear in mind, above a certain level you'll pay the VAT often at entry into the UK so to do a return, you'd have to complete a separate form to reclaim the VAT...

OP blackcat 01 Mar 2021
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Thanks for the link😀.

OP blackcat 01 Mar 2021
In reply to SNobbs:

Mmm i see, already ordered now so will have to just accept the extra faff if any,i ordered from mammut direct,theyre chat service is very good,so will contact them if i have any problems.Cheers.

Arcturus 01 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

we ordered a substantial bookcase from Wayfair. It came from Ukraine via Poland. Took about 10 days. No problems, it turned up in perfect condition . For me it was a UK transaction so far as I know so Wayfair absorbed any issues of Vat and duty but I’d be a lot more wary if I was buying direct from a foreign company even if, or especially if it was a smaller company.

daWalt 01 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

I hope your 2 pairs of trousers don't ad up to more than £135...

they'll be made in china, and therefor not exempt from tariff free trade on "eu made goods" - the £135 value is for the consignment, and if you go over this you'll get a nasty bill from the courier.....

Cobra_Head 01 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

Just tired to order a tool for my bike (it does already have one, I know) but the German company wouldn't deliver to the UK.

It was about 30 Euro, so maybe not worth it for them.

Babika 01 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

I ordered some £70 trousers from Saucony a couple of weeks ago but didn't realise they came from Holland. The fit was terrible so I returned immediately. 

Absolutely no drama except for some mystifying reason I had to stick 3 copies of the invoice in a bag on the outside. 

UPS picked it up and the return was free. I have my money credited. Well done Saucony. 

OP blackcat 01 Mar 2021
In reply to daWalt:

If your correct,cue a courier bill,having said that mammut say on their website no additional charges on delivery,will just have to wait and see.

OP blackcat 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Babika:

This is uplifting.

supersteve 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Babika:

One copy for export customs, one for import customs and one for receiving company. 

In reply to blackcat:

Hopefully this will encourage shoppers to support UK businesses.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Well one problem is that UK buyers are buying from EU suppliers because there are loads of quality items not sold bu UK stockists.

We can't rewrite this product of Brexit by suggesting we're somehow in a better position as we can now buy British if the quality of items is not available by buying British. 

We can't polish a turd.

Post edited at 23:41
 Mr Lopez 02 Mar 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Plenty items simply not imported here by distributors or just there aren't any distributors. Been having a nightmare trying to source some stuff which isn't sold over here and all the EU shops selling them won't take orders from the UK.

The OP is also a case in point

> Ive ordered a couple of trousers i couldnt find here in the uk

supersteve 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Mr Lopez:

The customs backlog for imports is crazy. I am waiting for a container from China which was due in late January. The ship it's on is currently docked in Germany, with still no date as to when it will be unloaded. All due to the volumes of paperwork which customs can't cope with. Can't see this problem going away any time soon.

So the product you want isn't available from another brand? 

If you contact a shop they can normally order stuff in for customers from any distributor or brand. Its really simple just nobody asks and heads straight for Alpinecheap.com

And there are many, many quality items stocked by quality shops in the UK. You just have to call and ask. 

Abit rude to suggest that our shops don't sell decent kit.

You are right, it would be rude to suggest our shops don't sell decent kit [sic].

That is not what I was suggesting or stating.

What I did say and stand by is that there are loads of quality items that are not sold by UK stockists. That is a statement of fact, not a view about UK stockists or shops.

There are brands and ranges within brands that are not available in the UK. It is entirely reasonable to look elsewhere for them.

You raise a good point about considering whether another brand has a good alternative. But it does boil down to choice - there are many reasons why we prefer some brands, and some of these reasons are better than others. But that is no different from why people choose a Ford or an Audi or a Skoda or a Trabant; style, price, reputation, marketing and function and other factors all influence choices whether it is a potato masher or a house that we're looking for.

To be clear, your interpretation of my post was not how I see it. There are many great UK retailers, but not all items are available in the UK. That's all.

Post edited at 19:13
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Plenty items simply not imported here by distributors or just there aren't any distributors. Been having a nightmare trying to source some stuff which isn't sold over here and all the EU shops selling them won't take orders from the UK.

> The OP is also a case in point

I agree. That is exactly the point I was making.

But instead of asking any of the shops in the UK if they can get hold of something, and letting them know about brands and kit you'd like to see in their shops, it's easier to shop abroad?

Is their a particular brand you can think of that you want to see in the UK? Or is it more there's not enough of the range avaliable?

Countries like Germany do outdoor retail very differently to us, its a much bigger market and they have huge stores, like Go, but full of every brand you can think of so yes, they have more choice, any bricks and mortar shop in the UK doesn't have the space to take everything so the main items bought are the guaranteed sellers and then probably only 20%, maybe less, is the gucci, different stuff.

Is it easier to buy from overseas? No. Is it harder? No. It is the same - find the website, find what one wants, pay for it. It's the same.

I have recently bought an item from the UK distributor of a well known brand that is in UK but not stocking the (old line) item in my size, via a fantastic UK retailer. So yes, it is an option to contact for a specific item but if that item is not available in the UK, looking online is where people will go. But this is a rare exception.

When it boils down to price, it is not unreasonable to consider buying abroad to save money. If it is a saving of hundreds of pounds (skis/bindings/skins/boots), not everyone is in a financial position to buy from the UK at several hundred pounds more.

I can think of few brands that I'd want that aren't available at all in UK (maybe Dachstein footwear) but there are many brands I like/have bought/use with rather limited ranges available in UK: Millet, Asolo, Zamberlan, Meindl, Black Crows (but I mean clothes, not ski hardwear).

I agree about the differences you describe between British and EU e.g. German outdoor retail.

Well hopefully the price differences will be more even now so buying aboard won't look as attractive. 

Perhaps from the view of UK stores that may be the desired outcome. 

The import tarriffs kick in at £135, so up to that price it generally remains worthwhile buying from EU. 

SFM 02 Mar 2021

I remember in the not too distant past U.K. retailers charging a a significant premium over European shops for some products. The advent of the internet exposed that premium and opened up eyes, leading to consumers shopping around more keenly. 

in the past I’ve asked retailers if they could get something they don’t normally stock but the price has never been competitive due economies of scale. But then again you probably know that already.....

daftdazza 02 Mar 2021

The pound is gradually strengthening against the euro so only going to become more cost effective to order from Europe again, and hopefully more and more EU retailers will start shipping to UK again.

It's good for bike parts that are sold out here at moment, or niche items such as packraft equipment that can be bought straight from German manufacturers, or even wine, with Spanish suppliers adding all duty and taxes to order to make it hassle free to import, often saving significantly on cost to buy here.

echo34 02 Mar 2021

The problem with asking a UK retailer to get something (which I have done quite frequently) is it takes longer, several emails required to ask and confirm the stock and price, I then usually have to pay an additional postage fee and the product will be full RRP. Often they say it can’t be returned as it’s a special order so I can’t try it. 
Buy from Germany I get free delivery free returns a sale price and good options so I can try stuff that isnt stocked here, and it usually arrives quicker than from a UK shop. 

I’ll often buy direct from the manufacturer these days too as I get free delivery and returns. which seems to be almost a non existent concept here.

I have a selection of very good UK shops that I often use but if I’m not sure about something or want something other than the generic brands that they stock it’s better to go to Germany . 

RobertKett 02 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

It depends on the individual retailer e.g. I ordered some goods from the big German retailer Alpinetrek (a.k.a Bergfreunde) recently (ie. since we exited Transition on 31.12.2020). They seem to be registered for VAT with HM Customs & Excise (or they have a UK subsidiary company which is), so the £135/150 Euro duty-free limit didn't apply. They  have a UK-specific website which quotes a delivered price at checkout, with free delivery for goods over £75.

The goods were dispatched from Germany to a distribution centre in UK, then on to me. It just took a few days longer than previously. Returns are made to a UK address.

For clarity: I support UK retailers, especially the independent ones, and especially at the moment, but they don't always have what I want.

BTW it seems to be similar if ordering directly from some continental manufacturers, but you'd need to check that on their websites.

Hope this is of some help.

Emily_pipes 03 Mar 2021
In reply to RobertKett:

Good to know Alpinetrek is coping with this mess. When I wanted to get some ski touring boots a few years ago, I had a choice between buying them in the UK for circa £450 or on Alpinetrek for circa £200. I believe in buying local and will do where the difference is £10 or £20 or whatever, or when the local thing might be slightly more expensive, but unique and very good and perfect for what I want (I splashed out on a really nice kayak trolley made in Pitlochry), but I'm not rich enough to spend £450 on the principle of the thing, when I can get identical kit for less than half that. All is fair in love and capitalism.

I've also bought equipment for a fish tank from European suppliers, because the thing I wanted, or an equivalent thing, did not exist in the UK. Sometimes (often), I really want a thing that's only made and sold in the US, but it's such an expensive ball-ache to get shipped here that it's not worth it. But I can get far more single malt whisky than they can, so I can console myself with that.

Post edited at 01:53
 supersteve 03 Mar 2021
In reply to daWalt:

For reference to all here, softball trousers come under a tariff code with 12% duty attached. 

girlymonkey 03 Mar 2021

I find my feet suit German footwear well, so I get more options available to me in a German shop. As others have said, you can get a refund if they don't fit as opposed to ordering from uk shop special order. 

Then there's style preferences, the general uk offerings on clothing are black and grey with the occasional navy blue, or pink for the girls! I have had many bits of colourful kit from elsewhere. I particularly like Scandi kit for many clothing items. And when I want to buy presents for my god kids, the Scandi waterproofs are so much better than anything we get here. 

I have also bought a lot of second hand stuff from ebay sellers in the EU over the years, there is just more stuff available so more chance of getting what you need second hand rather than having to buy a new thing. 

It's not like I have a local outdoor shop to support anyway! (And if I did, they would be too wee to carry anything even vaguely niche, like odd sizes or fun colours!) 

daWalt 03 Mar 2021
In reply to supersteve:

>  softball trousers

cool, I like your sartorial style. I presume you prefer the classic vertically striped knickerbockers. you'll definitely stand out down at the wall.

OP blackcat 03 Mar 2021
In reply to RobertKett:

Thank robert, i went through mammut uk so im hoping i dont get an extra charge,but as for returns,im pretty sure they go back to mammut europe.I will let others know how it goes.

OP blackcat 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I once bought an eider ski jacket from an online shop in salt lake city £40 cheaper than anywhere else,it took 2 weeks to arrive and guess what the ups guy wanted at my door,£40quid lol.

In reply to blackcat:

I recently returned something to Mammut UK, there's a return label (freepost) but it was not easy to get hold of via the website, and in the end I got it via customer services email.

So, touch wood, it is smooth.

OP blackcat 04 Mar 2021

Cheers pal.

Ungabunga73 06 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

Ordered a crash pad and a couple of ropes from Alpinetrek last month, took about two weeks to gett here, all good like before tbh

OP blackcat 06 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

Well i ordered on monday 1st march,parcel arrived fridat aft,no extra charges so just got to sort the return now.

daWalt 07 Mar 2021
In reply to blackcat:

glad to hear it's all worked out.

I'm still a bit unsure about ordering from eu based sellers; and I'm pretty sure that those that are set up to accommodate uk orders have a different "pricing structure" (ahem!). I'v seen one that explicitly states you must use the .co.uk version of their site.

just for balance:

I ordered a new pair of very expensive snowboard boots on the 26th Jan, the very next day I read this article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/27/anna-customs-duty (there's a very good btl comment on additional charges)

2 wk later the courier drops the box off, and nowt. As I'm chucking the empty cardboard in the bin, I noticed there was a sticker on the box in german "zoll paket, bitte vom band nehmen" (toll parcel, please remove from belt).

so now I'm totally confused

OP blackcat 07 Mar 2021
In reply to daWalt:

So youve been charged for an empty box,id be well upset.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...