One person tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m looking at getting a one person tent; it doesn’t need to be superultralight and made of space materials and titanium, nor do I want to be paying 500 quid plus for it- but willing to spend £350ish to get something durable, fairly light, easy to pitch, stable,  and relatively roomy.

a bit of googling turned up this:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/all...

Anyone got experience of using it? The hubba hubba gets good notices, is this good too?

also this- suggests good for bike packing, which is a likely use it’ll get- and I’ve got a terra nova solar 2, which has been fantastic, so I’d happily get another terra nova- anyone got an opinion on it?

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/all...

Or other options I might want to look at?

cheers

gregor

DaveHK 21 Mar 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> Or other options I might want to look at?

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/3-stealth.html

Or even the 1.5 for a bit more room. I have the 1.5 and it is superb. You can get separate poles if you don't want to use walking poles.

In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave- how does it perform in high winds, is it robust- my brother has had problems with the terra nova laser in windy conditions, it is lightweight but rather too flimsy

DaveHK 21 Mar 2018

Pitched either end on to the wind it's absolutely solid. Side winds, less so but still pretty good as long as all the additional side guys are used. I had a laser and think the trekkertent is far superior in almost every way. The1.5 is big enough for 2 for a few nights and luxurious for 1. I will say that I haven't used it in any truly rank weather yet but it has seen some wind and rain and performed very well.

It comes seam sealed and looks to be very well made. I went for the heavier fabric and rear door but its still under a kilo including the separate carbon fibre poles and pegs. Gettin a good, taught pitch is a little fiddly at first but you soon get the hang of it.

PPP 21 Mar 2018
 Andypeak 22 Mar 2018

I've got a trekkertent saor tent that I'm looking to get rid of. It's only been used for 3 nights, only selling as it's a bit to small for me and my dog. Comes with a footprint 

jondo 23 Mar 2018

i have a SMD lunarsolo. it is technically a tarp tent (it has an attached inner). for the price , the weight and performance is very good. (someone got it for me in the US, 180$). 

used it recently solo walking in India. easy to set up once you get the hang of it. 

bpmclimb 23 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Trekkertent ... I looked at the website, and it was strangely barren-looking, and a bit clunky: maybe still under construction? Lots of pictures but not much in-depth information, about products, materials, or even the company. Do you happen to know where the company is based, and/or where the tents are made?

Thanks.

Andypeak 23 Mar 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

They are based in the Cairngorms and all tent are designed and made there. 

OwenM 23 Mar 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

Trekker tent is a one man band based in Perth, I think he also has a regular job. Really good tents, individually made. He can be a bit slow delivering.

DaveHK 23 Mar 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

OwenM has it about right.  It's very much a cottage industry but I think he does a superb job and the tents represent excellent VFM.  A couple of friends have also used my Stealth 1.5 and were really impressed. Delivery time can be a bit of an issue for him though.

wilkesley 23 Mar 2018

If you are prepared to wait a few weeks for delivery and aren't worried about buying directly from China: https://frugalhiker.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Remove%20Under%20%2410%20US...

That site lists various bits of UK gear alongside their Chinese clones/copies/. I have bought a few things from 3fulgear and been happy with what I got. My latest purchase (not yet arrived) is a Hubba Hubba clone for about £100.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...