Old gear to gifts - recycling ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 24 Nov 2020

HI all - I'm in need of the hive mind! 

I have climbing friends and I want to make them something a bit different for christmas rather than buy more stuff. 

I also have lots of aged climbing gear,  partly due to being gifted a large quantity! This includes a load of cams that I've considered rethreading but still feel a bit apprehensive using gear 20 - 30 years old. The cams are very pretty though, they have an amazing shine to them. 

I've seen gifts made with old gear but now I'm looking for ideas I can't find any!  Lots of stuff for ropes but nothing for protection. 

Does anyone know of any?

Jenny C 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

Can lobes or nuts make interesting key rings or necklaces, smaller ones possibly ear rings (if not too heavy).

mary 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

Morning Flopsicle!

I use some of my old gear as light pulls.

Mx

Tony the Blade 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

You can weave an old rope into a mat. I used the Edelrid template and now have a great mat for the camper van.

Full instructions here... https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/knowledge/ropemat.php

Edit: Just re-read your post, sorry for yet another rope suggestion

Post edited at 11:54
 nniff 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> Can lobes or nuts make interesting key rings or necklaces, smaller ones possibly ear rings (if not too heavy).

Are you trying to get me killed?  Necklaces and earrings must be made out of precious metals and gem stones - if I handed my lawful wedded opponent a pair of earrings made from a couple of 1980's rocks you would be able to see the mushroom cloud in Sheffield!  I live south of London.

PaulJepson 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

I saw this used to great effect for price tags in a fridge at some wall (can't remember which): Cut the retaining wire on an old belay device and you can thread a crocodile clip on to the end of it. They would make a nice photo holder (https://shop.signbox.co.uk/30/33/croco-cube-tabletop-display?Colour=Croco+c... for principal)

NaCl 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

cut the nut end off of some old small/medium nuts and thread with a little thin acc' cord and you have keyrings

Rob Parsons 24 Nov 2020
In reply to flopsicle:

> I also have lots of aged climbing gear,  partly due to being gifted a large quantity! This includes a load of cams that I've considered rethreading but still feel a bit apprehensive using gear 20 - 30 years old. The cams are very pretty though, they have an amazing shine to them. 

Not answering your direct question but, unless those cams show obvious damage, they will be perfectly safe to use in earnest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...