New rucksack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pcassels 27 Dec 2019

Looking at getting a new rucksack for camping come the summer. It needs to be large enough to fit 2 sleeping bags, stove, food for 2 and general walking kit and comfy for a short person (me) to carry. Any recommendations?

Welsh Kate 27 Dec 2019
In reply to pcassels:

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but in your shoes I'd take myself along to a good outdoors shop and try on lots of different packs. Fit and comfort and really important - especially if you're after a short back length: an adjustable back may be useful, or one that comes in different back lengths so you can get a better fit. When I bought my main backpacking rucksack I ended up with one heavier than I'd set out to get, because it fit better and was more comfortable than anything lighter, so the weight doesn't feel a problem.

OP pcassels 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hopefully I'll find something in the sales.

Guy Hurst 27 Dec 2019
In reply to pcassels:

I use an Osprey Aether pack when I'm out for a few nights in a row, and really like it. It provides a good balance between comfort, features and carrying capacity. I tried it out with a decent load in it before buying. Before that I was using a massive Lowe Alpine pack which was also pretty good, although maybe not as comfortable and certainly heavier.

Andypeak 27 Dec 2019
In reply to pcassels:

I have been very impressed with the more expensive packs from decathlon. The cheaper ones are a bit naff though

Timmd 30 Dec 2019
In reply to pcassels:

The best advice is Welsh Kate's about trying them on, hopefully with something heavy (ish) in them to get a feel for them.

On a vaguely related note, I've been pondering buying some super sticky Flextape to protect the base of one of my 'sacks from scuffs and things, help stop small holes from appearing in the base. 

Post edited at 01:54
 druridge 01 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

Welsh Kate is bang on.

I tend to buy a bag with a slightly larger capacity than needed. it's then easier to get the contents to sit to a 'sweet spot'. Typically you also get a higher spec waistband on the larger bags. I dont buy bags which rely on a zip to close the main compartment

ben b 01 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

> It needs to be large enough to fit 2 sleeping bags, stove, food for 2 and general walking kit...

> Any recommendations?

yes, your walking partner gets a bigger pack and/or fitter! 

Unless you have lightweight (expensive) gear otherwise, and especially if you have synthetic sleeping bags, then 80+ litres likely to be needed. 

Kate is quite right. Pop to your local independent store for good advice. 

Osprey packs of that size are commonly available; you missed the half price Gregory Baltoro sacks over at SportPursuit unfortunately. 

b

Flinticus 01 Jan 2020
In reply to ben b:

> > It needs to be large enough to fit 2 sleeping bags, stove, food for 2 and general walking kit...

> yes, your walking partner gets a bigger pack and/or fitter! 

> Unless you have lightweight (expensive) gear otherwise, and especially if you have synthetic sleeping bags, then 80+ litres likely to be needed. 

I was wondering when someone would comment on this. Two sleeping bags. I assume summer bags as my winter down bag takes up more than a third of my pack. Food for two...for how many nights? Is the other person carrying the tent? Not too much choice above  70 lt and the packs themselves are then heavy.

OP pcassels 13 Jan 2020
In reply to ben b:

> yes, your walking partner gets a bigger pack and/or fitter! 

My walking partner is 5 😂. She's already carrying her own bivvy, mat and general walking kit, and now a light weight stove.

> Osprey packs of that size are commonly available; you missed the half price Gregory Baltoro sacks over at SportPursuit unfortunately. 

I've found an osprey 65l took all our gear down to the shop to check if it would fit. Thankfully the staff were great.

TobyA 13 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

When my kids were little, I got an Osprey Kestrel 68 in order to lug camping gear around for them and me. Easily fitted in overnight stuff for the three of us, with them just carrying little packs with a few light things in. This must be 10 years ago now but they still do them and they are cheaper than the other big packs. I find it comfy and well designed though still.

OP pcassels 13 Jan 2020
In reply to TobyA:

They didn't have the ladies kestrel in stock. I opted for the 65l renn its shorter but wider which is comfier when your only 5ft. My daughters got a 14l rucksack so we will manage between us. She's very excited just need some decent weather!

TobyA 13 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

My apologies for the everyday sexism of presuming you were a bloke on the basis that I am!   Looking at the website I guess the Kyte range is the same as the Kestrels, but just with a women's back system, but the Renn looks nice too, and they are a fair price. Perhaps the Kestrels/Kytes are now the mid-range and the Rook/Renn range is now the entry level ones, that the Kestrels were when I got mine.

Enjoy it when you do get out, my older kids and now mardy teenagers who wouldn't be caught dead doing something as lame as going backpacking with their dad, and my littlest one is still a bit too little - although I'm sure when he's the age your daughter is, I'll be able to persuade him to come out with me!

OP pcassels 13 Jan 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Seriously hoping she skips the mardy teenager doesnt want to spend time in the fells stage or I'll be without a scrambling partner. 😂

Although she takes climbing lessons so chances are she'll be ditching me as i won't be able to keep up.

ben b 13 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

Excellent! Wishing you many happy adventures

b

Max factor 13 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

Osprey Talon 44l. Light and very comfy and big enough for your needs.

Lurking Dave 14 Jan 2020
In reply to druridge:

> I tend to buy a bag with a slightly smaller capacity than needed. it's then easier to not over pack.

IFTFY

50L max, ideally less.

benp1 14 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

I bought an Exped Lightning 60 for this exact reason, although the trip fell through in the end (too many other things on)

I'm much taller than you, but the bag is hugely adjustable. Sized big enough to carry almost all the kids' stuff such that they can effectively carry just day kit with my carrying all the camping kit

morpcat 15 Jan 2020
In reply to pcassels:

I've got a 65l karrimor pack from ~2010 sitting in the loft doing nothing. It's in excellent condition having only done one trip to Iceland and a couple of weekends in the Lakes. I needed a bigger pack for my next trip (required carrying 3 weeks of food) and so haven't used it in almost a decade. It's yours for the cost of post & packaging if you want. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it out and get you some pictures.

OP pcassels 15 Jan 2020
In reply to morpcat:

Thankyou for the offer. I've just bought a new pack in the sales, I needed one with a very small back system to fit comfortably. I remember borrowing larger packs in my teens and the discomfort spolit the fun. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...