New rope - strange middle marker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 07 Oct 2020

Bought a new 40m Edelrid Ceuze 9.8
The middle marker is very stiff, a lot stiffer than the rest of the rope.

Where the middle marker meets the rest of the rope it pinches quite close together (see images in link)

Anyone seen this before, is this safe to use/normal or some weird manufacturing error?

https://imgur.com/a/OeijogZ

spenser 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Alpenglow:

You will get lots of different answers on here, I would get in touch with Edelrid (or their UK distributor). From what you have shown it is possible that there is a discontinuity in the core resulting from a manufacturing error (i.e. rope not safe to use) if the rope doesn't do that on other sections away from the middle marker. I've just checked a section of very supple Edelrid half rope in my gear box and it does pinch like that while some older, stiffer Mammut ropes won't, neither has sustained any damage in the area checked. 

JoshOvki 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Alpenglow:

Normally the ink used to mark the middle makes the sheath a little stiff. If it was me I would use it, but on the reverse I don't have it here to feel.

nikoid 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Alpenglow:

One of my friends has just bought a rope like this, can't remember the make.  But we assumed it was a deliberate feature and a good idea as you could actually feel when half the rope has been run out. 

Post edited at 16:11
In reply to Alpenglow:

My initial reaction was that it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. From what I recall, the middle markers can feel a little stiff straight out the box (presumably as a result of heat treatment), but soon limbered up with use; however, much like other posters it's nice to get a bit of reassurance - plus I'm sure they'd be happy to respond.

Either way, I've just sent the Edelrid UK Team a quick email to see if we can get a definite answer, so bear with for a short while - I'm sure they'll be in touch soon.

Post edited at 16:41
 gravy 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Alpenglow:

It's normal

In reply to Alpenglow:

Just had a response through from Edelrid:

This is a question that appears every now and then. The stiffness comes only from the ink, a certain amount of ink is simply necessary to make the marking last. 

We made tests with other markings and also we researched if there could be a handling risk caused by the stiffness but with negative result. (We had some ropes in validation that had random marks all over and but no problematic effect. Also the ink does not reduce the amount of dynamic EN 892 – falls, even if you place the mark on the edge).

Hopefully that allays any fears you might have had

OP Alpenglow 08 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That's great.

Thanks Edelrid and Rob for the quick response.

Thought it was probably fine, but best to check with these things!

In reply to Alpenglow:

No worries, hope you manage to get out and use it this weekend - weather is looking quite promising in the Peak (which is more than could be said for this week, where it's been awful throughout)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...