New altimeter/gps watch etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 03 Feb 2019

I have got a big birthday coming up and my folks and friends are asking what I want. I really don't have that many wishes (apart from world-peace and no brexit) but my Suunto Vector seems to be on its way out. I would quite fancy a new altimeter / maybe gps watch, but I would want one where the battery doesn't die after a day or so. What would people recommend?

Cheers

Heike

Post edited at 18:11
 a crap climber 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I've got a casio pro trek something or other. Doesn't do gps, but it's solar powered so charging it isn't an issue, which was the main attraction for me. 

Dark-Cloud 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

Fenix 5, more than happy with mine.

OP Heike 03 Feb 2019
In reply to a crap climber:

Thanks!

drew8connelly 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I’d second the Casio solar powered protrek. Mines is 10 to 15 years old. Altimeter “only” goes to 6000 metres (not been an issue for me). I looked at updating with a more up to date model with gps. But unable to resolve the battery life issue so decided to stick with what I’ve got.

Stichtplate 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

The Ambit 3 is on Sport Pursuit for £160 down from £450.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/suunto-070119

Dave B 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I have a slightly different model of this watch . Its not a current model and support for it is limited  No more software updates. There is also some flux about what will happen in 18 months time with online support of the app.

It does function basically well, with no problems in the last year. Accuracy is less than the peak that preceeded it.. Battery life is a weak point. 

I think I would probably get a current model  if I were buying today.  Even when I bought it it wasn't £450. It was only about 220 about 2 years ago  

Post edited at 20:25
 wintertree 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

My Suunto Core is disintegrating.  I really wish they’d make a new version that is exactly the same as the old one but with a modern quality display.

kevin stephens 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I'm very pleased with my Suunto Traverse.  The battery lasts for weeks if you don't use the GPS tracking, with the GPS tracking on it needs recharging every few days.  The altimeter is barometric and GPS so useful for skiing, I also use it (with tracker) for sea kayaking.  The Sapphire version is very tough

OP Heike 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

Thanks everyone for your input! I am still  a bit unsure what to ask for - so many options. Keep it coming .

vscott 04 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike: Hi Heike, got a suunto ambit 3 sapphire which is great, traverse seems even better on paper (slightly better suited to general mountain use + bit longer battery life). Either way worth getting the steel rim/mineral glass version (think standard on traverse) as stands up to be being bashed about well.

V

wilkesley 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I have had a Garmin Fenix3 for about a year now. Altimeter is OK provided you remember to calibrate it first. Battery life is about a week, as long as you don't leave the GPS on all the time. There is a very useful app that gives you the OS Grid Ref. Since I still do most of my navigation using a map and compass this can come in useful for a quick check to see if you are really where you think you are.

hokkyokusei 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I have a Garmin Fenix 3, that I love to bits. If I were choosing now, and someone else was paying, I would choose the Garmin Fenix 5.

SebCa 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I have had the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak HR

I currently have the Garmin Fenix 3HR

Have a look at the Suunto movescount facebook page for feedback on how buggy there stuff is...I had a suunto and bought a garmin due to losing data in the build up to races and losing crucial data....I would never buy another Suunto, I would buy another garmin tomorrow (but mine works fine

Welsh Kate 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Heike:

I got the Fenix 5 after months of umming and aahing about it. I love it: good functionality, good battery life. The most technical watch I had before was the Suunto Vector, and I was worried I'd find the Fenix a bit over-complicated, but I've found it pretty intuitive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...