Need more space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 17 Oct 2021

Bunion on left big toe knuckle.

Need to increase the space in new trainers. 

Anything recommemded?

Williecleuch 17 Oct 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Having had bouts of rather painful gout and a touch of arthritis in the big toe joint I have found that simply cutting a neat hole in the trainer at the appropriate spot brings great and welcome relief. Use a scalpel blade or craft knife to make the hole.  Wearing socks that match the colour of the trainers to disguise the modification is optional.

Tigger 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

You could try the donught style bunion patches, I've used them for my heel spurs in the past though ny spurs were a little to big for them to be of much use.

99ster 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I have the same issue and have gone to great efforts over the last few years to make sure all my footwear gives enough space and reduces the pressure on my foot.

For trainers - the best company I've found is New Balance - as they do an Extra Wide 4E option on a number of their running shoes, as well as half sizes.  Highly recommended.
https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/?prefn1=width&prefv1=X-Wide%20%2...

Then for approach shoe style trainers - Scarpa Crux are excellent - as the lacing runs almost to the end of the shoe allowing them to be relaxed and giving lots of width.
https://www.scarpa.co.uk/approach/crux/

I also only use Scarpa boots & have the toe box stretched to give much more space (including B3 boots) by https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/
I would very much recommend a visit to them - they have a great deal of expertise on managing bunions - none of the other so-called 'expert' boot fitters I've visited have anything like the knowledge & expertise they have.

OP Flinticus 19 Oct 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Thanks.

I'll look into those Crux next time I need shoes. I like the extended lacing. Ironically, ad its climbing that has given me this issue, that my climbing shoes are very accommodating on this issue, with either velcro or lace adjustability.

tony 19 Oct 2021
In reply to 99ster:

> I have the same issue and have gone to great efforts over the last few years to make sure all my footwear gives enough space and reduces the pressure on my foot.

> For trainers - the best company I've found is New Balance - as they do an Extra Wide 4E option on a number of their running shoes, as well as half sizes.  Highly recommended.https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/?prefn1=width&prefv1=X-Wide%20%2...

I've had success with Brooks, who also do wide fittings. 

For other brands, try Altra and Topo. Altra shoes have a very different shape to most shoes, with a lot of width across the forefoot, which works very well for my foot shape. I ran the Lairig Ghru race and the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in them this summer with no shoe-related problems. 

The Topo shoes I've tried are quite minimalist, without very much cushioning, so might not be so good for bunions. 

I've also had some success with Salomon XA Pro 3D shoes, which are marketed as trail shoes but I use for hillwalking. They're available in 2E fittings, and have Goretex or non-Goretex options. 

99ster 19 Oct 2021
In reply to tony:

Many thanks for the info on Brooks - always good to have more options.

But I couldn't find Extra Wide on the Altra site, or the Topo site?

And 2E isn't wide enough for me unfortunately.

> I've had success with Brooks, who also do wide fittings. 

> For other brands, try Altra and Topo. Altra shoes have a very different shape to most shoes, with a lot of width across the forefoot, which works very well for my foot shape. I ran the Lairig Ghru race and the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in them this summer with no shoe-related problems. 

> The Topo shoes I've tried are quite minimalist, without very much cushioning, so might not be so good for bunions. 

> I've also had some success with Salomon XA Pro 3D shoes, which are marketed as trail shoes but I use for hillwalking. They're available in 2E fittings, and have Goretex or non-Goretex options. 

tony 19 Oct 2021
In reply to 99ster:

> Many thanks for the info on Brooks - always good to have more options.

> But I couldn't find Extra Wide on the Altra site, or the Topo site?

> And 2E isn't wide enough for me unfortunately.

Altra are very wide, even if their sizes aren't labelled as such. I use a 4E fitting in my Brooks road shoes, and the Altra Lone Peak trail shoes I have are easily wide enough. As I said, they have a very different shape to other shoes, which may or may not work for you, depending on the shape of your foot, but I've been very happy with mine. Similarly, the Topo shoes I have are wide enough. 

In reply to Flinticus:

I had a bunion and associated bone spur on my right big toe lower joint. I think it was due to a decade long love affair with La Sportiva Testarossas. Anyhow, I went to my GP, got referred to an orthopaedic surgeon and was in for a day the following week. Took a couple of months before I could get rock shoes on again. However, it was spoiling my climbing so a small price to pay. That was 6 years ago, and no recurrence. I would recommend this route from personal experience.

OP Flinticus 19 Oct 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Thanks. At present its not affecting my climbing and I can do without another several month break from climbing after lockdown. Plus I assume such an op would be pushed way back in the queue! However good to know that's there as an option later. I didn't think it would be taken seriously enough.

bouldery bits 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Altra make shoes that might help here. 

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...