Naturehike tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daftdazza 15 May 2019

Hi,

Has anyone got experience of using nature hike tents? Looking to get one for bike packing in Scotland, they are light and pack down to a good size so look ideal, but any review or experience of them would be appreciated.

https://www.naturehike.com/taga-1-ultralight-one-man-tent/

Cheers

Daryl 

Dark-Cloud 15 May 2019
In reply to daftdazza:

I wouldn't bother, but that's me.

You can get a Vango of Wild Country for around the same money and weight, for instance:

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/1057-nevis-100.html

If you look hard enough there is always discounted tents around from people like Uttings etc.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/c441-tents/a45_f=*-2900/?sort=PriceAsc

Post edited at 13:21
 arvinw 15 May 2019
In reply to daftdazza:

Got one of their 1 person tent which is a knock off of Big Agnes Fly Creek and oh boy it didnt disappoint. Took it to Mont Blanc (camped at Tete Rousse) and slept under pouring rain with no water seepage. Quality fabric and perfect weight ratio. The design is also incredibly wind resistent. Just two weeks ago while camping got hit with an hour of 100kph gale and rain. Friend's MSR tent got ripped and pole snapped. Mine hold up with zero damage probably due to the bending tent design when blown at.

DaveHK 15 May 2019
In reply to arvinw:

>  got hit with an hour of 100kph gale.

I bet it wasn't.  

Post edited at 16:25
 arvinw 16 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3006996/inte...

"The Observatory said gusts reaching 100km/h or more could continue to affect the city."

My friends and I were camping exactly this time. One of the tent even got blown away (some expensive europe brand). But mine just moved side to side like a palm tree against winds and nothing broken. Not even kidding.

DaveHK 16 May 2019
In reply to arvinw:

> "The Observatory said gusts reaching 100km/h or more could continue to affect the city."

So not an hour of 100kmh winds then!

Not saying it wasn't unpleasant, just that people almost always overestimate wind speeds.

arvinw 16 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Gosh. It was an hour or more of 100km if not higher speed wind. Anyways, it wasn't an overestimate. I just give credit where credit is due. From my experience, the Naturehike holds up in extreme conditions even better than counterparts 3 to 4 times its price like the MSR.

DaveHK 16 May 2019
In reply to arvinw:

> Anyways, it wasn't an overestimate. 

Unless you had an anemometer or were camped next to a weather station how do you know? Just because a forecast said 100kmh was possible near your location doesn't mean that's what happened. Microclimate has a huge impact on winds and a gust of 100kmh is a very different beast from an hour of 100kmh.

Like I said, not doubting the general points that it was bad and that your tent survived, just the wind estimate.

Humans are poor judges of such things. For example I did the 3 Peaks CX race a few years back and loads of folk were talking about 70mph+ winds on Whernside. It turned out the mountain rescue guys on the summit had an anemometer set up all day and it never got above 40mph!

Post edited at 07:13
 redscotti 16 May 2019

I've got a Cloud UP 2. Not used in anger yet, but test pitches reveal a very well constructed,  quality tent.T At the price there is nothing that comes close for a 3 season tent. There's a YouTube video of one in a hoolie for the doubters and mockers.

angry pirate 16 May 2019
In reply to daftdazza:

You can a Taga on Amazon but the reviews are a bit mixed. Main issue seems to be that there is loads of condensation due to the single skin design.

Alpkit do a new 1-man tent that looks pretty good though it is inner first pitching.

Both Vango and Wild Country do some decent light tents that won't break the bank. The WC Zephyrus is a firm favourite with some colleagues of mine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...