MSR Tents 2019 - Seam sealing recall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leon 1 26 Nov 2019

As I can no longer reply to this Zoic2 review where it was initially discussed

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/msr_zoic_2_tent-711586

I thought Id add some recent information from the MSR. FAQ section about the seam sealing issue for those that bought a 2019 MSR tent ...

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/backpacking-tents/zoic-1-backpacking-tent/...

'Please note: Our first run of these rainflies, starting Jan. 2019, did not live up to our waterproof standards. Because of this, we are inviting customers who purchased one of these tents to send in the rainfly for an additional sealing application. 2019 shelters in the follow series are eligible for this seam sealing step: Hubba NX, Carbon Reflex, FreeLite, Zoic and Thru-Hiker Wings. Please clink here if you think you’re affected. All applicable tents shipped from MSR starting 11/8/19 will be factory seam sealed.'

(thats 8th Nov 2013)

Affected Batch nos here

https://support.cascadedesigns.com/s/article/Seam-Sealing-Service-and-Suppo...

Post edited at 21:18
 TobyA 26 Nov 2019
In reply to leon 1:

Interesting... So perhaps the leaky test Zoic shouldn't have leaked that much!

> 'Please note: Our first run of these rainflies, starting Jan. 2019, did not live up to our waterproof standards. Because of this, we are inviting customers who purchased one of these tents to send in the rainfly for an additional sealing application. 2019 shelters in the follow series are eligible for this seam sealing step: Hubba NX, Carbon Reflex, FreeLite, Zoic and Thru-Hiker Wings. Please clink here if you think you’re affected. All applicable tents shipped from MSR starting 11/8/19 will be factory seam sealed.'

Where does that message come from? It's not from your links.

Odysseus 26 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

This wording is from the MSR link, I found it in the FAQ section under "Do I need to seam seal my tent"

OP leon 1 27 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Sorry that first link didnt take it all the way to the quote

As Odysseus  says its in the FAQ section on all the Backpacking Series Tents

Affected Batch nos are on here  (Basically it seems anything from 2019)

https://support.cascadedesigns.com/s/article/Seam-Sealing-Service-and-Suppo...

Post edited at 08:42
 TobyA 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Odysseus:

It's quite well hidden isn't it! I wonder if the MSR in Europe are offering the same thing to customers this side of the Atlantic?  I'll maybe see if UKC can did into it a bit more.

OP leon 1 27 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:  I believe they are doing the work for the European market in Ireland.

Post edited at 13:45
Deadeye 27 Nov 2019
In reply to leon 1:

Ha - well, isn't that interesting.

Burying an "invitation" under the FAQ is a bit feeble.

Theo Moore 09 Dec 2019
In reply to leon 1:

Hi all, MSR have issued the following statement to clarify the issue:

"In the US and Canada, MSR found that a small number of tents with our Xtreme Shield precision stitched seams were not performing to our waterproof standards, and made the decision to contact customers directly about this.  

This communication was not a product recall. It was designed to inform customers about the potential issue, and outline key steps they could take to prevent it.

The communication was also listed as an FAQ on the global MSR website. This was done in error, as the issue above is not relevant to the European market.

For our customers in Europe, we continue to offer a three-year limited warranty service on all of our tents. This includes the repair or replacement of parts or materials that are deemed defective.  In instances where we no longer manufacture the product, or feel that it cannot be repaired, we will offer to replace your product with one of comparable value and function.

Going forward, to prevent this issue from impacting our European customers, all new MSR tents with Xtreme Shield will be seam sealed at production.

We apologise for any confusion caused, and as always, are grateful for the trust our customers have in our brand."

Hope that helps and if you have any specific questions following on from it I'm happy to send them over to MSR.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...