REVIEW: MSR LowDown Remote Stove Adapter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 07 Jun 2022

A conversion kit that turns a tall stove into a wider and more stable ground-mounted remote burner, the LowDown reduces the topple factor common to both stove systems and compact canister-top models. For car camping or family use, it's a welcome addition to the camp cooking setup, says Dan Bailey.

Read more

Nutty 07 Jun 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Seems like a very niche product. If you want to make a canister-top stove more stable, you can get a gas canister tripod stand for <£10 that adds very little weight (mine weighs 24g). If you want a remote canister stove, you can buy a dedicated one for about the price of the LowDown.

Pedro50 07 Jun 2022

My FireMaple titanium remote stove weighs 105g. 

It doesn't get used for car camping which is a completely different requirement. 

Neil Williams 07 Jun 2022

Could actually be tempted by that to add to my Brukit which is quite top heavy otherwise and could easily be knocked over - but £45 is steep, I'd probably only pay half that.

The Brukit does come with a canister stand but it's a bit cack-handed and easily falls off.

Post edited at 13:49
 RR 10 Jun 2022

Pricy but … it is worth, I think. I tipped over a hot pan I burned my foot quite hard 2/3 degree burn (6 weeks no climbing). 

I have a question, I should like to know if the LowDown accepts/fits in combinations:
old Pocket Rocket (first generation)
Reactor 
Windboiler, Windburner

I appriciate it if you let me know. 

galpinos 10 Jun 2022
In reply to RR:

In the MSR promo shots they show both Reactor and Windburner so they'll be fine.

Can't imagine how it wouldn't work with any canister top stove.

In reply to RR:

I can vouch for both the old style Pocket Rocket and the Reactor, as I've used it with both.

In recent years my Reactor has mainly been used as a kettle whilst car camping, but its relative instability isn't ideal, so the addition of the LowDown has been welcome. The fact that it also works for the Pocket Rocket is an added bonus, as it means I don't have to (rather unnecessarily) buy any more stoves!

kylo-342 24 Jun 2022

Looks interesting but can anyone tell me the advantage of this over just buying a separate remote canister stove?

it's not particularly light, nor is particularly cheap .....  and wouldn't a remote canister stove be even more stable than this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...