MSR Elixir 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 06 May 2020

Anyone got any experience of this tent? I will mostly be using it for cycle touring and the occasional backpacking trip.

It looks to fit the bill but the hydrostatic head says 1500....is this sufficient for UK use? The Vango tents for example say 5000!

Any opinions greatly received, thanks.

galpinos 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

You could ask TobyA:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/msr_elixir_1_tent-1139...

MSR are based out of Seattle in the Pacific North West, not the driest part of the world.

Frank R. 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Or see here:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/msr_elixir_2_any_users-703355

Never had any problems with mine even in heavy rain, not in the UK but I think a storm up high in the Caucasus during the rainy season might count as pretty heavy as well

Post edited at 15:25
 Andypeak 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

If you actually think what 1500 HH means it's actually loads. That's one and a half metres of water pushing down on the tent before it will leak through. Vango have such a high HH because it both looks good on paper and they use a less efficient method to make the fabric waterproof. 

La benya 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I'd assume they have missed a 0 off that number.  Even the most basic nylon would achieve 5k.

1poundSOCKS 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

My Elixir 1 stayed completely dry apart from some condensation for 3 weeks with a few spells of sustained heavy rain.

Dark-Cloud 06 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I have one, somebody above linked to a thread where i asked the same question.

In summary, pitches well, roomy, good head room, twin entrances, seems sturdy in the wind, not too heavy if split two ways, can pitch inner or outer only (outer only with the footprint)

I made one small mod and that was to put some shock cord on the end fly pegging points to get them further away from the inner but other than that all good.

I like it.

Post edited at 16:23
In reply to abr1966:

A tent with a hydrostatic head of 1500mm is waterproof enough for a few years, and a tent with a HH of 5000m will stay waterproof for a few more years.

Frank R. 06 May 2020
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

I would not say exactly so - IMHO longevity might depend more on the quality of the polyurethane coating used (not talking about silnylon here). A lower mm rating coating might even last longer if more resistant to hydrolysis.

Post edited at 18:25
OP abr1966 13 May 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Tent arrived today so its up in the garden.....very pleased with it! Good quality feel and my worries about headroom completely unnecessary....

The manufacturer photos say 40 inches inner height but I measured it at 41 earlier so loads of space. 

Thanks again for the comments and reassurance!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...