Mountaineering 50 metre rope advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 25 Mar 2023

This year we're off on a couple of mountain trips where we're doing long, easy routes with a lot of pitches. We already have a collection of ropes but no lightweight single.

I think what we want is a very light single at 50 metres. The Beal opera and the Edelrid swift came up but any chatter on the topic would help.

I'll add that the rope will not be needed for heavy cragging, sport, repeated falls or indoor. Our interest is specific to the single purpose stated above. Many thanks. 

Post edited at 17:14
 mcawle 25 Mar 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Edelrid Swift is great, I have a 60m that's maybe 5 years old and it's holding up okay with light-moderate use each year. Not much more to say about it.

But I imagine that any of the 8.5-9mm triple rated dry ropes should be fine - Edelrid, Beal, Mammut, Petzl etc.

OP olddirtydoggy 25 Mar 2023
In reply to mcawle:

A mate of mine has a length of that. The aramid sheath apparently gives it greater durability but makes it slightly heavier.

mcawle 25 Mar 2023

So that is specifically the Edelrid Swift Protect, mine pre-dates that one. There are also a couple of other sub-types - I think the Swift Eco and Swift 48, which I think are both closer to normal ropes.

I’ve heard the Protect is good, but yes slightly heavier and also a higher impact force (although still within UIAA limits) as I guess it’s less stretchy in a fall.

GrahamD 25 Mar 2023

Do you really need a single for this application?

JMAB 25 Mar 2023

I have a 45m beal opera, really like it for moving together and routes where I won't need a full rope length. Feels very light for what it is.

Steve Woollard 25 Mar 2023

I've had 2 Operas for a couple of years and use one as a single on easier routes and as a pair when I need double ropes. I think the flexibility of being able to use them as a single or double is really useful and they're also wearing well

Andypeak 25 Mar 2023

Might be worth having a look at the Simond Edge 8.9mm triple rated rope from decathlon. I've not personally used it but it seems to be a bargain for the price, especially if it's probably only going to be used for this trip 

veteye 25 Mar 2023
In reply to mcawle:

I've had a couple of slim 60m Mammut ropes of the same type (I cannot remember their names, but were the lightest available at the time), and would not have gone back if the original was not useful, and reasonable wearing.

I would look at the difference in weight between 50 and 60 metres. Sometime on long mountain routes it is good to have a longer length to abseil with.

I have just discovered that I had not sent this from ~3 hours ago. Apologies.

OP olddirtydoggy 26 Mar 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

We have a short single and a pair of halves but the application is for long, easy, mountain routes abroad where we have limited weight allowance and would like to get the carry weight down. Thanks for asking.

In reply to Andypeak:

We've heard that some of the Simond ropes suffer with quick wear on the sheaths. I can't speak from personal experience but I remember a thread on here a couple of years back on this issue. We love some of their clothing though.

In reply to veteye:

It could be the Mammut Serenity. Our 35m rope is one of those, an 8.7mm slick rope that wears very well. Sadly no longer available. Our 35m isn't quite long enough sadly.

Thanks for all the other feedback on the posts, really grateful.

Post edited at 15:53
 rsc 26 Mar 2023

It could be the Mammut Serenity. Our 35m rope is one of those, an 8.7mm slick rope that wears very well. Sadly no longer available.

I think the Serenity was replaced by the Alpine  Sender. Same diameter. I have one and am very happy with it ( apart from the embarrassing name). 

timparkin 27 Mar 2023

I'm not sure if it's important to you but the Edelrid Swift and the Beal Opera are at opposite ends of the scale for impact forces. The Opera is more like a normal rope but slightly stretchier (7.4kn). The Swift is very stiff and right on the edge of the regulations for impact force (9.9kn). It depends on your priorities - cut resistance or force on placements 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...