Moon pad foam quality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kermit_uk 01 Dec 2019

so been asked before many times but interested in current thoughts.

I have a 4 year old Saturn and it's gone super soft. I also have an old warrior (with the cut diagonal corners) must be 8 years old at least still nice and firm and a pod folding pad that must be 15+ years and the foam in that is still great and they have both been hammered in their lives.

I still think the design and size etc of the saturn is for me hands down the best pad but at well north of £200 i'm not impressed the foam has basically just given up. It's been used a lot over the first maybe 2 years but back issues have meant not so much the last 2 years. Always stored dry and flat.

I'm quite happy with how the material and straps etc are holding up.

If i replace it with another saturn is the current foam quality likely to last like my old warrior or not again like this pad?

Thoughts appreciated.

Alkis 01 Dec 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

I have two Saturns. Bought one around 6 years ago and the other one four or so. The older one is still fine. The newer one has gone soft, mainly around the fold.

They are both the same model and have the same foam, I suspect I have been less careful with the newer one, leaving it folded etc.

OP kermit_uk 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Alkis:

I store all my pads the same way. open and stood up against a wall. If i am driving further than the peak i even fold my seats down and put the pad in the car open. I love after my kit very well. That's not to say you don't by the way.

I was starting to think actually 2 years heavy use then 2 years easy use is OK.

Then i remembered again that both my old moon and my OLD pod are still fine and have been used loads.

afx22 01 Dec 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

Today, I noticed how soft my mate’s Saturn has become, while my Organic Big Pad is still firm.  Both pads are probably less than two years old, mine being slightly older and probably more used.  His is still very useable.

Alkis 01 Dec 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

Hm, very interesting. I wonder if there has been a drop in foam quality.

HeMa 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Alkis:

I recall that there indeed was. But the newest crop of Moon pads is supposed to be again better. 

ad111 02 Dec 2019
In reply to HeMa:

I have one of the new crop - it's had a hell of a lot of use this season and the foam is still very firm. In fact it's so firm I prefer landing on my old Snap Wrap as it's a comfier landing.

OP kermit_uk 02 Dec 2019
In reply to ad111:

Thanks. Maybe I investigate the new replacement foam option.

Organic pads and snap pads also for the biggest ones seem just crazy money in my mind. 

Arms Cliff 02 Dec 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

May be worth approaching Moon and seeing if they can provide replacement foam if the outer is still fine? Save you some cash!

ChrisBrooke 02 Dec 2019
In reply to kermit_uk:

Get an Ocun Paddy Dominator. Yes, it's smaller, but it's slightly thicker, has a hinge design and is fantastic  Available for £190 at the moment.

OP kermit_uk 02 Dec 2019
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I like the foam but a few mates have them and I don't like the pad design. Straps have broken on all of them and I just like a taco. Can put all my kit inside it and carry it without things swinging around or getting too crushed. Plus better landing zone and can be wrapped over blocks etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...