Montane Prism vs. Montane Icarus - which one to get

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 17 Sep 2022

Morning all.

I've previously had 2 Montane Prism jackets and have been very happy with them. 

When looking to replace it I have the option of the Prism or the Icarus.

In short, I use it for belaying in, climbing in and general walking the dog etc.

The reason the Icarus caught my attention is because it looks a little warmer than the Prism, although I'm a bit more unsure as to how "shower proof" it would be due to all the extra stitching in it and whether the synthetic filling may clump up like down does.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Frank

DaveHK 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Hood doesn't look as good on the Icarus and the ukc review says its not great for layering over.

In reply to Frankie boy:

Icarus- can comment on newer ones, but just in case it’s still relevant.

I fully expect improvements from original zip and popper and certainly hope so. Originally main zip and associated popper at hem were very poor and so frustrating. Popper would pop under minimal tension eg just by even sitting, bending down and hands in pockets, and without it the zip easily unzipped from bottom (it was a one way zip which dislodged itself). The popper use was essential not optional in early models.

The popper on mine actually broke after very little and only a few months use and I had to pay for replacement since the retailer refused to be involved. Unfortunately I didn’t get to use the jacket very much as it was so frustrating since it was when will it give out rather than if. Not reliable to risk.

Nice warmth to the jacket for weight as I recall on early ones but I personally didn’t like the cut and some other things. Hopefully Montane have overcome the “fault”.

top cat 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Neither.  Get the Flux....

OP Frankie boy 17 Sep 2022
In reply to top cat:

I had vague recollections of trying one of them on and seem to remember thinking or was too bulky or something or other but I'll have another look.

HB1 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I've had my Prism for many years - it's not overly warm but so comfortable to wear isn't it. Washed and reproofed it's as good as it was as new (compared with a Patagonia bought cheaply - but the stitching's dreadful) You've has 2 already, so you obviously like  them - wear a new one with PRIDE (or just wash the old one - it can't be too bad can it1?)

OP Frankie boy 18 Sep 2022
In reply to HB1:

Sadly, the old one is so well worn, it is now more duct tape than jacket, and the zip is past it, I spend more time walking round looking like a burst cushion.

beardy mike 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I got the Icarus on a whim and really like it. It's quite a trim fit though. I also got a Hydrogen which I actually prefer and they are on Sportshoe for a song. It's Alpha direct rather than primaloft, and breathes better IMO. Seems cool enough to move in but warm enough to belay in... its like a buffalo should be and for some reason discontinued...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...