REVIEW: Montane Podium Pull-On

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Oct 2020
Storm Francis putting both the author and the Podium Pull-On through their paces

Weighing just 100g (size Medium) the Podium really is light, says Rob Greenwood, with a minimalist pack size that will likely take up less room than your sandwiches. But this is a bit more than a just-in-case shell, and it'll appeal to hillwalkers as well as runners.

Read more
 vscott 13 Oct 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Does it come in non dull-grey to stand a chance against those shorts...

In reply to vscott:

> Does it come in non dull-grey to stand a chance against those shorts...

No, but if you wore a similarly orange t-shirt underneath then the semi-transparent nature of the jacket would mean that you'd probably get a good hint of colour showing through. Whether or not it would be wise or sensible decision to to this stylistically would be another matter altogether, but I would never, ever  take style information from a man that wears shorts that short (or that orange), hence my opinion on the matter is null and void

nathan79 13 Oct 2020

I do like these "condom jackets" as I feel they should be called. Very handy for tucking away easily.

My current go-to is a Berghaus Vapourlite Hyper smock. 25g less than the Montane with a chest pocket perfect for phone and or a snack. When it dies this Montane may be a perfect replacement.

dr evil 13 Oct 2020

I'd like to see a head-to-head comparison between this 100 quid jacket and a 5 pence bin bag.

In reply to dr evil:

> I'd like to see a head-to-head comparison between this 100 quid jacket and a 5 pence bin bag.

Initial feedback is that the cut could be better...

dr evil 13 Oct 2020

REVIEW: The Bin Bag

Waterproof shells vary a great deal in weight, cut, focus, spec and cost. At one end of the spectrum, you get expensive heavyweight protection, while at the opposite end is the bin bag. If you are an extremist looking for the ultimate lightweight waterproof shell then this is it. While the bin bag was not designed with just anyone or, indeed, any human in mind it can easily be stashed and forgotten about until the elements arrive. Weighing in at just 10g the bin bag is lighter and stashes smaller than any other waterproof shell.

The bin bag is versatile: it can be used for running, hillwalking, and ultralight backpacking. It functions as an emergency dry bag or wet bag. It’s handy for glue sniffing and it’s suited for climbing because of the lightweight nature of the material and because it is, literally, disposable so if it rips, who cares? 

The bin bag is unisex, and comes in two colours: black or white. There are a number of different sizes to choose from ranging from a petite 20 gallon tall-kitchen swing-bin size to a monster 70 gallon wheelie bin; whatever your body shape we have you covered. 

Though it says so in the name it's worth reiterating that the bin bag is not a jacket; it’s a bin bag, and hence you will have to cut holes for your head and arms. Given its minimalist nature there aren't a great many features. Velcro flaps, toggles, cuffs, hems, sleeves, buttons, zips and hoods all weigh a ton and take up space - so f*ck them. The bin bag simply features high density polyethylene. This is waterproof with a high strength to density ratio and goes all the way around the front, back and sides and, most importantly of all, keeps the weather out. Although there might be some flapping on a windy day, due to the ‘unfitted’ nature of the bin bag it’s surprisingly breathable and easy to get on and off, particularly when wet.

Summary: 

So there you go. Fed up of paying 100s of quid for overpriced plastic jackets that don’t keep you dry anyway? The bin bag might be for you. It’s the cheapest, smallest and lightest waterproof shell available, and the slight decrease in performance compared to expensive shells is more than offset by ending up in the pub earlier with more money to spend on beer.

JB 13 Oct 2020

Looks ilike an interesting  product but can't see any mention of price anywhere? Surely a review should have some commentary on pricing and whether an item is good value versus similar offerings. To be fair...price is highly subjective, UKC is usually v good at this especially in group tests and online discounts means people might rarely pay the RRP but I find this kind of omission a bit frustrating...

Post edited at 20:25
In reply to JB:

Sorry, oversight. It's £110

Removed User 14 Oct 2020
In reply to dr evil:

Very good.

I was in a running shop last week and noticed several branded propriety plastic bags with pre-cut holes for a surprising sum. I mentioned this at the check out and the girl said even funnier was when people bought them they put them in a free plastic bag with the same logo on it to leave the store.

These are the times we live in.

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

>..... but I would never, ever  take style information from a man that wears shorts that short (or that orange), hence my opinion on the matter is null and void

I was going to mention the shorts. Nearly poked my eye out reading the article!

PPP 14 Oct 2020

I assumed the transparent fabric means the race number is still visible with a jacket on. Not a big selling point, if you asked me.  

I have both top and bottom by now as I really liked the trousers. As a runner myself, some races require full waterproof body cover with taped seams, but most of the time it just stays in the bag. I don’t mind running in a bit of a drizzle without a waterproof on. 

The jacket is yet to get tested in foul conditions, but one thing to note is that a more substantial jacket gives a bit more warmth. I’m still sticking to three jackets for running, all by Montane: Aero Event 3L for when it’s truly bad, Minimus Stretch Ultra 2.5L for when it’s not too bad and Podium when I don’t think I’ll need it at all. Seems to work that way for me, but I run more than hill walk or climb. 

In reply to JB:

> Looks ilike an interesting  product but can't see any mention of price anywhere? Surely a review should have some commentary on pricing and whether an item is good value versus similar offerings. To be fair...price is highly subjective, UKC is usually v good at this especially in group tests and online discounts means people might rarely pay the RRP but I find this kind of omission a bit frustrating...

My turn to apologise now, as usually this is something I would comment on within a review; however, for reasons unknown didn't...

With that in mind (and dr evil may not like to hear this) the Podium Pull-On actually sits at the more competitive end of the superlight waterproof pricing spectrum. Granted, it is more expensive than a 5p bin liner, but it is also significantly cheaper than a Berghaus Hyper 100, which comes in at £250. Neither of these products are directly comparable, as the former is  a plastic bag and the latter features 3 layer fabrics, but it goes to show the diverse array that is out there.

As always, it all comes down to three factors of which one is budget, the other is what you're looking to do with it, and the third is your own personal preference. If the price is an issue, look elsewhere; if you're looking for something to be out in all day, every day throughout the winter months, look elsewhere; if you prefer a full-length zip, look elsewhere; however, if you're looking for a superlight pull-on that weighs nothing and, when deployed, can keep you comfortably dry, then the Podium Pull-On is certainly worth a look.

In reply to PPP:

Funnily enough I saw your comment over on the Waterproof Running Jacket thread and meant to respond at the time, but due to one thing and the next (probably writing this review) never got round to it.

Your comment chimes with something I mentioned within my previous post, which is what you're looking to do with it. As a few other folk commented on within the thread, if you're running a relatively short distance then your best bet is often just to wear a windproof, as it offers a degree of protection and a whole lot of breathability; however, after a couple of hours they soon begin to feel a bit grim.

Within the Podium I think the line that summarises it for me was this:

"On the note of waterproofing, whilst the Podium is indeed fully waterproof, it is best used as a 'just in case' piece. As is arguably the case with all ultralight shells, if you're going out expecting a full day of rain then you'd probably favour something a little more substantial."

In such conditions you can't beat 3 layer fabrics, because nothing - not even a black plastic bag - compares (and even then it has the potential to be pretty miserable).

On that optimistic note, here's to a winter of wet running! The Bob Graham isn't going to do itself (sadly)...

Post edited at 10:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...