Montane Fireball smock replacement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve an old Montane fireball smock with I think 40g/sqm primaloft insulation throughout which I use for mt biking when the weather gets colder. It’s been brilliant for my needs for many years. I’m looking for a suitable replacement and seems few are available.

Things I really like about my smock is it’s simplicity in construction - smooth surface, athletic fit yet unrestricted movement, elasticated wrists and hem, half 2 way zip - packable lightweight for warmth ratio, high collar with snug fit when zipped to exclude wind when needed, no pockets or draw cords to cause bulk or could be caught, windproof and DWR  water resistant outer, and hood less.

So far Montane Fireball Verso smock, OMM Rotor smock, and Inov8 Thermoshell smock I’ve found by google seem to be close spec to consider.

Anyone used and can recommend any of the above or are there other options to consider out there? A slightly warmer smock, if available, would be an advantage if there is one about? Thanks.

benp1 13 Nov 2019
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I used to have one of these, sold it on when I bought a Berghaus Hypertherm. Largely because I wanted a hood for bivying with my quilt

Do you wear it when stationary or when moving? For moving then then Inov8 is made of polartec alpha so will breathe much better. I use alpha on the bike quite a lo, this morning for example

If it's for when stopped then personally I favour a jacket as I don't have to take my bike helmet off. But if you really want a smock I think the OMM and Montane are both well regarded, although the latter is reversible I think so might offer slightly more functionality

In reply to benp1:

Thanks. It’s mainly for when moving. I did think the alpha insulation could well be an advantage for all round use. I’ll check it out in more detail.

I’m thinking the Montane with it’s reversibility and since I’ve liked a lot of Montane products over the years. Will check out the Berghaus Hypertherm however to compare - a lot will depend if the good can be secured out of the way.

alexm198 13 Nov 2019

Rab gave me a Paradox pull-on for an expedition in 2018. Used it basically the whole time -- a really versatile piece of kit. Super simple and streamlined. Definitely worth a look.

I think this is the new version (Paradox 'light') but you still seem to be able to buy the old version from some retailers. 

https://rab.equipment/eu/paradox-light-pull-on

In reply to alexm198:

Thanks, will have a closer look.

Mouflon 14 Nov 2019

Another option - my lad got a Buffalo cycle shirt years ago and is really pleased with it, for all weathers.

Warm but not ridiculous when worn on it's own.

In reply to Mouflon:

Thanks I’ll check it out.

In reply to alexm198:

I decided to buy one of the Paradox light pull on tops but not specifically for winter rides. Have tried it out though on the bike under a light insulated windproof layer in around 2°C. Suitably impressed as an mid layer alternative to a light fleece. Thanks for suggestion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...