Mobile phone waterproof case - what's a good one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 20 Nov 2022

Looking at the weather for my Dartmoor Dash next week it's going to be wet.

I've decided I need a phone case that can cope with all that the weatehr gods can throw at it - so as per the thred title... What's out there that's up foe the job?

TIA

Pedro50 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Bacofoil ziplock, available from all good supermarkets. Good for currency, passport and phone. And food.

In reply to Pedro50:

> Bacofoil ziplock, available from all good supermarkets. Good for currency, passport and phone. And food.

I did actually consider a freezer bag - I guess they do the same job as a £20 phone case, just need a little more TLC to prevent tearing.

Thanks

Pedro50 20 Nov 2022

These are pretty robust and the zip is sound.

Myfyr Tomos 20 Nov 2022

I've used one of these for many, many years. It is bombproof and I've yet to drown a phone. Device is completely usable while in the case but make sure you select the correct size and that the closing levers are able to fully lock. Great bit of kit.  https://aquapac.net/shop/waterproof-phone-cases/waterproof-phone-case/

Roberttaylor 20 Nov 2022

I use an A6 Ortleib document case. Waterproof, roll-top with a cord for round your neck. I'm on my second one; the first one lasted for ages. 

deepsoup 20 Nov 2022

Here's another relatively cheapy option, bit of a halfway house between the ziplock freezer bag and the Aquapac maybe:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/lightweight-mobile-phone-dry-bag/

Marek 20 Nov 2022

If the phone is just going to be stashed in your bag in case of an emergency, then you can't really beat a ziplock bag. Minimalist in weight, size and cost and does the job as well as anything else.

Tringa 21 Nov 2022

If you want to be able to use your phone while it is in the waterproof case then one of the alternatives already mentioend is the way to go. If you want something just to protect the phone against the weather a small plastic clip lock food container might do.

Dave

I’ve always* used either the kitchen ziplock type bags for general light use/not expecting rain/phone likely to be in rucksack all the time/etc, or for full on waterproofing always an Aquapac purpose made case.
(*I did once use for a few years an Otterbox case with one phone and it was “bombproof”, but it was big and clumsy and wasn’t quick or easy to get phone in or out so never did again after I changed from that phone.)

Never had Aquapac ones fail in any way, and yet could still use the phone. I would buy them again if I needed to.

Brass Nipples 21 Nov 2022

Another vote for zip lock / freezer / sandwich bags.  Cheap and effective.  

LastBoyScout 21 Nov 2022

Again, if you're just after protection, then I chuck mine in a small Exped dry bag, along with wallet and car keys.

Then again, I've cycled for many miles with phone (and cash and cards) in a zip-lock food bag in back pocket - cheap and effective.

I've got an old Aquapac roll-top case that is brilliant, but too small for modern phones. They've never brought out a larger size, annoyingly, as I'd definitely buy one.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> They've never brought out a larger size, annoyingly, as I'd definitely buy one.

They do cases for plus sized phones but it does depend on what size your larger sized phone is of course.

Current I think the largest is 20cm x 11.5cm. Their website says “PlusPlus – Fits phones/phablets 185mm/7.5in tall, 110mm/4.3in wide. Fits larger phones with Heavy Duty bumper cases such as Otterbox, or phones with an extra battery booster as well.”

Post edited at 11:03
In reply to all contributers:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Lots to consider but I'm leaning towards the zip-lock freezer bag.

The phone will be stashed in my jacket pocket for warmth, I will occasionally take it out so protection from the elements is still needed.

Thanks again

Fraser 21 Nov 2022

When do you need a case for? I have a couple of mobile phone dry-cases that came with dry-bags I got a while back but don't need them. You're welcome to have if I can get it to you in time. (posting from Glw)

It's one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079MF5QNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o...

Edit: ...if I can remember where I put them!

Post edited at 11:27
In reply to Fraser:

Many thanks for the kind offer - However I'm away from Wednesday so I don't think it'll arrive in time.

I appreciate the offer though. cheers

Fraser 21 Nov 2022

Ah no worries. TBH, as a last resort I'd probably just wrap the phone in a bit of soft material (eg a buff) and stick it in as heavy-duty a zip-lock bag as you can get.

LastBoyScout 21 Nov 2022

> Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Lots to consider but I'm leaning towards the zip-lock freezer bag.

> The phone will be stashed in my jacket pocket for warmth, I will occasionally take it out so protection from the elements is still needed.

Still useful to protect it from any moisture inside your jacket.

Basemetal 21 Nov 2022

One small step up from a freezer bag in durability are the 'waterproof phone bags' around £2-5 (got mine in Lidl-de-Aldi). I accidentally left my phone in one in a Buffalo that went through a full 30degree wash and spin and it came through dry and unharmed. I now trust them completely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...