Mitt Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 27 Nov 2019

I've got an old pair of shelled mitts (Wild Country, possible Terra Nova similar to this pic http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bkMKHBJBuwg/TOhFQKGJ1LI/AAAAAAAACEg/zpCm900QFOI/s...) with a removable pile inner. The inner attaches to the outer via paired strips of velcro on the shell/pile. Unfortunately the velcro has delaminated off the shell part of it. I have a roll of sticky velcro, but I'm not sure how well it would adhere to the shell. Any suggestions on this?

Additionally, if anyone has any online resources on learning to repair things involving more niche materials compared to regular textiles/needlework e.g pertex, shell then that would be useful. I've got a lot of older gear that I'm sure I could renovate, but I've no needlework/textile ingenuity!

Thanks! 

mff513 27 Nov 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Maybe you could stick it on using a non water soluble glue or perhaps even sew it through the shell and use a permanent iron on repair kit for gore tex or the like to seal them again as they are hard shell or gore tex I presume 

Dan Arkle 28 Nov 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

I would try sticking normal velcro on with aquasure or seamgrip. If it doesn't hold, stitch it, then glue it.  Stitching is stronger but more faff - and you then need to seal the needle holes with glue.

For repairs in flat fabric, spinnaker tape is amazing. 

TobyA 28 Nov 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

I've got the same Wild Country mitts! Bought mine in 1991.  

I'd just sew the Velcro on. I only ever use those mitts if its proper cold so a few stitch holes through the goretex up by the massive hole you put your hand through won't make any difference! I imagine the PTFE membrane on them may well have given up the ghost anyway by now.

Hat Dude 28 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> I would try sticking normal velcro on with aquasure or seamgrip.

Seamgrip would work as I have an old pair of goretex shell mitts, I used dots of seamgrip on the palms to make them more grippy and I reckon it'll still be there when the rest of the mitt has long gone.

oldie 28 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Sometimes I'm able to use stainless steel staples instead of stiching, usually with a glue such as Pattex contact adhesive. I do use spinnaker tape but it generally needs backup stitching/staples. In another thread someone recommended sail tape for being tougher than spinnaker tape while many mention German betrafoil (?) builders tape but apparently its hard to obtain.

Basemetal 28 Nov 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Does the velcro achieve anything? I've got a few mitt/ overmitts that don't attach to each other at all. Just highlighting the "do nothing" option

OP joe.wahab 29 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

That sounds about the right vintage! They're hand me downs from either my dad or granddad, not sure.

Yeah the PTFE lining has had it a bit, but the fabric seems pretty robust so they've got some usefulness in them yet I'd think.

I think I'll get hold of some seamgrip, see if that holds it and if not, get the sewing kit out. I hadn't hear of seamgrip before. so thank you for the suggestion to those who made it! 

pass and peak 04 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

I had a pair of those wild country ones but dropped them along with the dry bag they were in down Crowberry Gully nearly 3 seasons ago, never did find them, pity thought they were great! Best to stitch with a machine for a lasting job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...