Minimalist climbing pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 01 May 2019

Any suggestions of current brands/models of minimalist climbing pant? By that I mean a minimum of pockets (ideally none but that might be a bit much to ask) for a flat profile under a harness, reasonably hardwearing but also lightweight material, maybe a bit stretchy. Not interested in heavy material which restricts movement, and I don't need them to look like denim/jeans or anything else which might be considered cool in a casual/streetwear way. Ideally something which approximates to the Marmot Mono Pant, which I've used for many years, but they're no longer being made.

Thanks

Tigger 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Try Simond Edge Pants from Decathlon, for reference I'm a 30" / 31" waist and fit a size EU 40.

Billhook 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

M&S are doing a nice range of boxer shorts at the moment.

Rob Parsons 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Any suggestions of current brands/models of minimalist climbing pant?

When did 'pants' become 'pant'?

> By that I mean a minimum of pockets (ideally none but that might be a bit much to ask) for a flat profile under a harness, reasonably hardwearing but also lightweight material, maybe a bit stretchy. Not interested in heavy material which restricts movement, and I don't need them to look like denim/jeans or anything else which might be considered cool in a casual/streetwear way.

You've just described Ron Hill Tracksters. Still available for 10 quid or so; still do the job as well as ever.

Post edited at 21:06
 deacondeacon 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Lycra? 

Robert Durran 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

>  Mono Pant

Is that as opposed to Duo Pants (which those of us with two legs wear)?

FFS

pasbury 01 May 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> You've just described Ron Hill Tracksters. Still available for 10 quid or so; still do the job as well as ever.

And if you grow the correct shape moustache you can look like Big Ron.

In reply to bpmclimb:

Ocun Mania Pants - they have hand pockets but these are pretty minimal affairs with no zips. 

Rick Graham 01 May 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Ocun Mania Pants - they have hand pockets but these are pretty minimal affairs with no zips. 

Do the pockets catch on karabiner gates when you are trying to clip your harness gear loops?

In reply to Rick Graham:

Not that I can ever recall.

Tom (also an overclipper)

ripper 01 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Troll Omnis are pretty minimal - although not stretchy

In reply to bpmclimb:

> pant

In reply to bpmclimb:

Ron Hill's

In reply to bpmclimb:

Another vote for the Ocun Mania Pants

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> When did 'pants' become 'pant'?

I'm still trying to figure out when trousers became pants. What do we wear under pants?

biscuit 02 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Prana Mondo shorts are available as a trouser. Only had them a while but if they're as hard wearing as the shorts they'll last a long time. Super comfy, stretchy, lightweight, minimalist. HTH.

Mark Stevenson 02 May 2019
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

> Another vote for the Ocun Mania Pants

And a third vote from me. Really good kit.

deepsoup 02 May 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> You've just described Ron Hill Tracksters.

Ha ha.  I thought from the OP's description I could hear the creaking of the RH Trackster closet door.  Perhaps he even already has a pair and is really just looking for help giving himself permission to wear them out in public?

In which case it's ok, bpm - we're all friends here and nobody is going to judge you, come on out!

In reply to bpmclimb:

Ron Hills

Edit (someone got there before me)

Post edited at 11:38
 SGD 02 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

It might be worth checking out the rest of decathlons range such as:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-slim-gym-bottoms-black-id_8502171.html

£13

Birks 02 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

I rate the mountain equipment comici trousers, my go to for trad when it's a bit too chilly for shorts. Lightweight, bit stretchy, although maybe on the premium Vs other suggestions posted here. I prefer with a proper waistbelt as opposed to a stretchy thing and not a fan of cotton or jeans because I find these not stretchy enough or too warm

Post edited at 13:18
 Southvillain 02 May 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/ronhill.html

It's a classic look! I still use a pair for winter running - roomier than running `tights' but not too heavy.

Coel Hellier 02 May 2019
In reply to Old Mountain Git:

> I'm still trying to figure out when trousers became pants. What do we wear under pants?

One wears underpants under pants, obviously!

"Pants" is (I think) older, from "pantaloon". For some reason, the word "trousers" (from Scots/Irish "trews", "trous") then took over. 

Then, since the word "pants" was not being used, "underpants" got shortened to "pants".

So "pants" for trousers is a reversion to an older usage. 

Post edited at 14:03
 ripper 02 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> And if you grow the correct shape moustache you can look like Big Ron.

Hill or Fawcett?

pasbury 02 May 2019
In reply to ripper:

There's only one big Ron.

ripper 02 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

As this is a climbing forum I'm assuming you don't mean Atkinson!

OP bpmclimb 02 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

> Ha ha.  I thought from the OP's description I could hear the creaking of the RH Trackster closet door.  Perhaps he even already has a pair and is really just looking for help giving himself permission to wear them out in public?

> In which case it's ok, bpm - we're all friends here and nobody is going to judge you, come on out!

It's true ... I confess

In reply to Coel Hellier:

Thank god that's cleared up

Post edited at 06:50
OP bpmclimb 03 May 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> >  Mono Pant

> Is that as opposed to Duo Pants (which those of us with two legs wear)?

> FFS

It's what the manufacturers call those particular trousers. It seemed sensible to quote the exact name of the product for reasons of accurate identification/Googling, but I'm afraid I underestimated just how annoyed that would make some people ... sorry about that! I'll try to be more careful in future

Chris_Mellor 04 May 2019
In reply to Old Mountain Git:

What do we wear under pants?

Er ...underpants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...