Mini v Micro Traxion self abuse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 31 Aug 2019

Is there any reason to prefer the mini over the micro traxion (or vice versa) when self-belaying?

I know the self-belaying topic has been done to death, but so has every other one, so what the heck....

If I don't get any satisfactory replies I'll start a thread on Fo8 vs bowline, that'll teach everyone.

Garethza 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

This did make me laugh this morning - thanks ! 

I have no suitable answer for you other than figure of 8!

Andy Gamisou 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Garethza:

> This did make me laugh this morning - thanks ! 

> I have no suitable answer for you other than figure of 8!

Ah - dislikes to your post!  Must be for the Fo8 reference.  I think I've derailed my own thread in the very first post.

Post edited at 10:50
 Rick Graham 31 Aug 2019

I have had a few "moments" with the cam  lock open catch on the mini, it is far more difficult to get a malfunction on the micro design.

The cheek plates on my mini are now quite distorted from a hard fall, the rivet pin is also skewed, it is reduced to light duties nowadays.

I now have a micro.

Andy Gamisou 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

You'd have thought the mini would be beefier somehow (at least I would). Good to know, cheers.

philhilo 01 Sep 2019

Micro is a younger design and more efficient  as a pulley so should run better when top rope soloing. I use one for hauling and top rope soloing, super smooth. Never used a mini - didn't see much point in buying a heavier less efficient pulley. 

MischaHY 01 Sep 2019

Microtrax has been shown to cut the rope sheath at forces as low as 1.7kn when loaded dynamically so be very cautious in what setup you're planning on using this. A camp lift could well be a better choice as it has no teeth. Either one will work great when used with a chest harness. 

ilw 01 Sep 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

1,7kn is well low - what was the source for that Misha?

MischaHY 02 Sep 2019
In reply to ilw:

I'm sure there was a video from Yann Camus who knows his way around a TR solo rig, but can't seem to find it now. This post demonstrates the potential to cut the rope sheath through somewhat mild loading: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RopeSolo/search/?query=micro%20traxion%20te... 

The real takeaway is whatever device you use, use it with a chest harness to avoid dynamic loading and trail a backup at waist and you'll be reet. When I was based in the UK I used to top-rope solo regularly in order to work trad routes alone for future headpointing, and I used to use a shunt suspended between a chest harness and my belay loop with two screwgates and a quickdraw dogbone to extend it from the waist. This worked very well as the setup was reasonably stiff and so kept it oriented to feed smoothly.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...