Merrell shoes-any good these days?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Otis 22 Apr 2019

a few years ago I had some Merrell Moab GTX approach shoes and they were ace. Bought a second pair when they started to get on a bit and they were garbage. They didn't last, they didn't keep the water out and they fell apart before my original pair. Online reviews at the time told similar tales and staff in my local national-chain outdoors shop confirmed that Merrell had changed manufacturer, with some less than perfect results. 

My latest (non Merrell) approach shoes have worn out and I'm looking for some new ones. There are some new Merrells out there and, as they fit annoyingly well, I'm tempted. 

So, the question...... are Merrells back on form, or is their quality still decidedly below par?

Post edited at 20:18
 Luke_92 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Otis:

I’ve got a pair of Cham 7s that I’m liking quite a lot, as a general walking/approach boot. Really impressed overall, except one possibly big problem for some... They’re properly shit on wet stone! Considerably worse than other  shoes I’ve used, although these aren’t “approach” shoes and the others were. Other than that, I love them and they seem to be holding up well. Wore them almost continually on a two week trip in Spain, hiking a fair bit some days, and they still looked almost new at the end of the trip. 

In reply to Otis:

The ones I've had have been ok, but I think they may have changed the shape of their lasts; hence I have a lightly-worn pair of size 12 Chameleon 7s available on a popular auction site.  The Moab 2 gtx shoes I bought a couple of years ago are fine.

T.

samsmith 22 Apr 2019

I like mine, I've had Moab ventilator mid for 4 years or so now and love them. They have hiked a couple of thousand miles in the UK and US and are still going strong. I've recommended them to a few friends and my brother has the same pair. Everyone I know who has them loves them. 

88Dan 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Otis:

I did the same as you with Moab GTX. first pair lasted 18 months second pair fell apart in 6. fell apart maybe slightly the wrong explanation, the outside was fine but the entire inside of the heel was in bits. not what I had come to expect from Merrell at all.

Neil Williams 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Otis:

I like the MOABs as well (I have both the boot and trainer version) but they do indeed only seem to last like trainers rather than like boots, and don't take long to spring leaks, which is a shame as they are the most comfortable outdoor footwear I have ever owned.

Because I find it so hard to get boots that don't give me blisters I put up with it (and add my own proofing spray to keep it minimised), but I really wish they were a bit more watertight as it's the only issue I've had with them.

Post edited at 23:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...