ME Eclipse hoodie for running? Too hot? What's similar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 24 May 2022

Continuing my endless (apologies) stream of threads on running the W3K this July, I am looking for a mid-layer to wear on top of a vest in the event it's cold / windy (and under a waterproof if raining).

My criteria are: Hood, thumb loops, 1/4-1/2 length zip. Bonus points for built in neck-warmer / mask.

The ME Eclipse hoodie seems to fit these criteria perfectly but they market it as for the most extreme alpine climbing and 7000m peaks (in the video on their website)! So concerned it might be overkill for the "worst" Snowdonia can throw at me on a (good weather forecast) July day. Also they don't seem to describe it as a running top, more for climbing/ mountaineering.

Has anyone a) got any experience of running in this hoodie? or b) could recommend an alternative?

I've also looked at an Inov-8 technical hoodie which has thumb loops, hood, but a full length zip, it looks more light weight and perhaps cooler. Maybe this is better for July in Wales.

I've got a Nike top (now sadly discontinued) that fits all these criteria except it has no zip, so you get quite hot under the collar so I don't think practical for a summer run (great in winter though).

In reply to elliot.baker:

In winter I've worn my Patagonia r1 for running and it's great. The eclipse looks very similar.

galpinos 24 May 2022

Amazing top, I love mine, but I wouldn't be packing it for a run. Running in July I'd either be in a t-shirt (hot weather) or t-shirt and windproof (cold weather) with a 40g puffy pullover to put on if I stop/get hurt.

I can't imagine a scenario I'd be running in July with a fleece on, I do run hot though.....

DaveHK 24 May 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> I can't imagine a scenario I'd be running in July with a fleece on, I do run hot though.....

Hammering rain, wind and single figure temps on the tops would do it for most I think. Not uncommon in July.

I've used the Eclipse for winter running, both as a midlayer and a baselayer; however, for me it's far too hot to wear throughout warmer weather.

Unfortunately Mountain Equipment discontinued my favourite running fleece. I can't remember the name of, but it featured a lighter, less insulated fabric alongside a 1/2 length zip, hood, and thumb loops (i.e. everything you're after). It was absolutely amazing, but alas - it was a commercial flop, hence was discontinued

Sadly I haven't found anything that quite compares...

Street 24 May 2022

I've got an Eclipse and have run in it but it wouldn't be my first choice as I'd over heat so I usually go for a baselayer and windshell with emergency insulation layer in winter.

I might be alone, but I also found the neck warmer thing really annoying. It seems like a good idea, but because of how the zip is, unless it's done up all the way one side has far more material and it flaps around getting in the way.

It's basically a slightly thinner R1, which is what I ended up buying instead and much prefer!

Post edited at 17:09
 DaveHK 24 May 2022

https://theomm.com/product/core-hoodie/

No thumb loops or zip though.

There is a heavier version but it would probably be too warm for summer running 

In reply to DaveHK:

I've got a core hoodie but haven't gotten on with it that well, partly cos I got a size too small. It works really well in a layering system because with a windproof it's VERY warm but with good venting it feels like it's not there. For me that's not ideal for running because I don't want to be taking layers on and off all the time, but as a baselayer under a paramo jacket or similar for winter hillwalking or climbing it works pretty well, apart from being cut a bit too short.

random_watcher 24 May 2022

Montane Allez Hoodie would be an option. Similar design to the Eclipse/R1 but lighter weight.

Although it doesn't have a neck-warmer/mask style hood although personally I think a buff would probably be more versatile in this role.

https://montane.com/products/montane-allez-micro-fleece-hoodie

OP elliot.baker 24 May 2022

Ok so the eclipse hoodie is out for summer running - any recommendations for something else (with a zip)…?

thanks for the OMM one but I’ll definitely need a zip. Maybe I just need a non fleece base layer of which I’m sure there are numerous out there 

edit - hasn’t seen the montane Allez when I posted this! Will check it out thanks 👌 

Post edited at 19:12
 StuDoig 24 May 2022

This is my go to atm 

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/rab-borealis-men-s-pull-on-213380?FT20Feed=00...

No insulation / fleecy liner but great on windy / chilly days.  

I've an eclipse top as well but would be waaaay to warm for me running in.

Cheers,

Stu

greg_may_ 24 May 2022

I've an Allez top from Motane, works well. 

echo34 24 May 2022

Montane Allez much better for running, super light, breathable and warm enough for most winter

Run_Ross_Run 24 May 2022

Montane Allez micro.

Got one a while back, such a versatile piece of kit.

tony 25 May 2022
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Montane Allez micro.

Agreed. I ran the Yorkshire 3 Peaks last August with an Allez Micro under a waterproof, and I do the same again if I wasn't crocked.

In reply to greg_may_:

Ahh, thanks for bringing this one up. I had a search for it earlier but completely failed to find it, so had assumed they'd discontinued it too.

I've got the version without the hood, which I like, but would have preferred the one with.

LucaC 25 May 2022

I run year round in Snowdonia and use a Patagonia R1 when it's cold, either with a base layer when it's really cold/variable temperature or just as a single layer. Coupled with a windshell (Patagonia Houdini) I find this plenty even when theres snow around. 

Personally, I find hoods annoying when I run as they flop about when not in use so prefer a pullover layer and stick a hat on when my ears are feeling chilly. 

If I was running the 3000s in July I would probably take these layers and a light puffy jacket for stops, plus waterproofs. 

galpinos 25 May 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Was it the solar eclipse? Didn't have thumb loops though. My go to fleece for summer. Too expensive I think and hooded pullovers are a nice market (which is annoying as they are my favorite for any harness wearing activity, well, all activities really!) Replaced by the Lumiko, but with full length zip:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-fleece/products/lumik...

galpinos 25 May 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Hammering rain, wind and single figure temps on the tops would do it for most I think. Not uncommon in July.

Maybe I just run hot, I'd be in a t-shirt and waterproof (and would be feeling hot) if running in those conditions.

Running the Higlander in high wind and snow (April in Scotland) I never wore more than a thermal and waterproof.

In reply to galpinos:

> Was it the solar eclipse? Didn't have thumb loops though. My go to fleece for summer. Too expensive I think and hooded pullovers are a nice market (which is annoying as they are my favorite for any harness wearing activity, well, all activities really!) Replaced by the Lumiko, but with full length zip:

Ooh wait, you're right - it was the Solar Eclipse (or the Solar Eclipse Hoody). You're also right in saying it doesn't have thumb loops, which I thought it did, but the reason I did is because of how long its arms are. I'd often fold them over to form makeshift gloves when it was particularly cold. Apologies for the misinformation there - shows how much I know about my supposedly favourite fleece!!

I've also got the Lumiko, which I really like, but it (rightly or wrongly) feels a little heavier. Having had a quick scan through the online archives it looks like the Solar Eclipse featured  Pontetorto Tecnopile 103 fleece, whereas the Lumiko features (as you might expect) Lumiko. That said, I can't seem to find any weight attached to this. Looking at them side by side they appear almost identical, but weight wise they do feel different, although this could be to do with how threadbare my Solar Eclipse is.

Like you say, I think it was cursed by its being a little niche; however, for people such as ourselves niche is actually quite good!!

galpinos 25 May 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Ooh wait, you're right - it was the Solar Eclipse (or the Solar Eclipse Hoody). You're also right in saying it doesn't have thumb loops, which I thought it did, but the reason I did is because of how long its arms are. I'd often fold them over to form makeshift gloves when it was particularly cold. Apologies for the misinformation there - shows how much I know about my supposedly favourite fleece!!

The arms are ridiculously long which I though was rubbish initially but like you say... makeshift gloves!

> I've also got the Lumiko, which I really like, but it (rightly or wrongly) feels a little heavier. Having had a quick scan through the online archives it looks like the Solar Eclipse featured  Pontetorto Tecnopile 103 fleece, whereas the Lumiko features (as you might expect) Lumiko. That said, I can't seem to find any weight attached to this. Looking at them side by side they appear almost identical, but weight wise they do feel different, although this could be to do with how threadbare my Solar Eclipse is.

My mum is up at the moment and was instructed to bring her sewing kit to sort out a couple of holes that are above my sewing skills pay grade.

> Like you say, I think it was cursed by its being a little niche; however, for people such as ourselves niche is actually quite good!!

DaveHK 25 May 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> Running the Higlander in high wind and snow (April in Scotland) I never wore more than a thermal and waterproof.

Was that the one with the camp at Inchnadamph? Pretty sure I had a second layer on at some points!

PJ2398 25 May 2022

Have a look at Magic Mountain- they have the Eclipse hoody in 4 different weights of fleece- they are a special order to use up material and are selling for £50. I’ve got one on the lightest ones and it’s very good. Slightly heavier than the Montane Allez micro. 

OP elliot.baker 25 May 2022
In reply to PJ2398:

This is a great suggestion thanks - the one that you own - do you think it would be good / ok for running in cold wind, both with and without a waterproof on top?

What is the hood like please?

Thanks again.

Elliot, I can't help but feel that there'll be an article in it by the time to come around to doing the Welsh 3000ers. Bear it in mind, as I suspect it'll have been quite a journey by the time you come around to doing it. Psyched to hear how you get on!

PJ2398 25 May 2022

I don’t fell run (so bear that in mind) but I think it would be fine. I’ve use it for general mountaineering and winter climbing and it is excellent. Long sleeves, with thumb loops,  and long enough in the body- a real bug bear of mine. The hood is fine though obviously not adjustable; I’ve had no problems with it being too loose but never run in it. It isn’t wind proof at all but has been great under a waterproof. 
One thing I’d note is the sizing is a little strange- I’ve got lots of ME gear, all size large, but the large was too big/baggy on me- swapped it for a medium which is perfect and trim fitting. I’m 6’2”, 13.5 stone, 42 in chest, 34 waist. If you’re borderline on a size, I’d go down one.

Hope that helps.

Lhod 25 May 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Ditto, I've been up there in those conditions and t shirt was fine for the uphill, then put on a layer for going down.

My go to for the summer mountain conditions you've described is the Patagonia Airshed Pro, very breathable and light with a bit of weather protection, though you'd also want a waterproof shell in reserve. It's lovely to run in, one of my favourite bits of kit. 

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-airshed-pro-running-pullover/24...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...