Map Cases... what makes a good one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

what makes a good map case? I've got an Ortleib one and it does the job, though seems a bit unwieldy but I have nothing to compare it to.

Buying one as a present go just looking for options

Post edited at 12:07
 pass and peak 03 Dec 2018
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

1) Needs to be made of Silicone/TPU so it doesn't crack after repeated use and can be used at lower temperatures without going stiff.

2) Opening needs to be reinforced and have a roll over velcro type closure

3)Transparent both sides (some aren't!)

4) Take a large map area and have the ability to fold in half and secured with velcro

5) have a strap so you can hang it round you neck and look a complete clueless wombler and I can spot you a mile off (well perhaps not this one!)

Good luck, as I can't seam to find any now with all those features! The material is the most important!  

ianstevens 03 Dec 2018

Nothing. Waterproof maps are far more user-friendly.

pass and peak 03 Dec 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

unless its windy!!!

ianstevens 03 Dec 2018
In reply to pass and peak:

> unless its windy!!!

Not sold on that argument - a map case can blow around in an annoying fashion more-so than a map that has been pre-folded with the correct consideration.

summo 03 Dec 2018

A4 Plastic bag(heavy duty freezer type) folded in on itself. Minimum cost and adds nothing to the actual volume when folded up in a jacket pocket. 

Toerag 03 Dec 2018

the ability to roll it up and secure it helps immensely to stop it propellering and smacking you in the face in the wind.

Toerag 03 Dec 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Nothing. Waterproof maps are far more user-friendly.

It's a lot easier to deal with a mapcase showing the map on one side and routecard on the other though.

ianstevens 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> It's a lot easier to deal with a mapcase showing the map on one side and routecard on the other though.

Fair point - I'd personally never use a route card though. 

Trangia 03 Dec 2018

I've got a Trekmate

Best map case I've ever had, The material is semi rigid but feels soft, hence it doesn't split with repeated use. It opens at both ends making it easier to position the folded map in it. The openings have press seals and really are waterproof. It's transparent on both sides. Has a strap which can be adjusted for hanging length, and has a press quick release on one end, and even an inbuilt whistle!. Press studs for folding it in half if you only want a smaller part of the map.

I've had it a year now with frequent use and it's showing no sign of wear.

jezb1 03 Dec 2018

Hard to beat the ortlieb.

Cut up and laminate my maps into smaller sections.

Bloodfire 03 Dec 2018

I decided this year to pay for OS online (about £25). I print the map, fold it in half (A5) cut a corner off and them punch a hole in the laminate before laminating the whole thing. Its compact, I can scribble all over it, I actually make 2 copies so I can keep a spare and usually have a complete map in my bag anyway. It was more of an experiment this year but handling these tiny maps has been brilliant. The little hole means you can attach it so something so it doesn't blow away. I've used them in all weather and I've not lost one yet. Over the year I've printed lots and lots so have actually saved on mapping too. 

I've used a waterproof case for an ipad mini before now and that has been awesome far better than any cumbersome map case but not great to scribble on. 

OK... The Ortleib does seem to tick the box of quite a few needs, but will look at the trekmates one. 

The waterproof maps seem OK for when it is raining but the ones I see look really bulky for non wet days and cant just be slid into a large coat pocket or have they slimmed down somewhat?

Simon Caldwell 03 Dec 2018

Harveys waterproof maps are no more bulky than normal paper ones

Jenny C 03 Dec 2018

The laminated os maps are bulkier than paper but also soooo much more durable. Much prefer these to using a case and the extra weight and bulk is negated by not needing a case.

olddirtydoggy 03 Dec 2018

I've got a copy of Memory map, the 1-50,000 OS of all national parks and I just laminate an A4 with the map printed both sides. Lighter and doesn't have anything on it I don't need.

angry pirate 03 Dec 2018
In reply to pass and peak:

My 20+ year old ortleib map case has precisely those features and is still going strong. I have a bunch of old paper maps so use it with those or with printouts of I'm expecting to rattle through a few over a multiday trip.

That said, I do often print out maps using the OS software and lob them in sandwich bags or laminate them especially if the weather is going to be proper biff.

tehmarks 03 Dec 2018

Another vote for Harveys waterproof maps - particularly the BMC Mountain Map series, which I think are a fantastic design for navigating in the hills. A massive downvote for OS waterproof maps though - I don't think they could be any more bulky if they were made from sheet metal...

The only real issue with the Harvey maps is they tend to quickly wear where they've been folded.

benp1 04 Dec 2018

I have the outdoordesigns one but it's a bit heavy/bulky. The velcro closure to let you fold it in half was a nice touch

Recently got the ortlieb one and it's a much nicer design - softer and lighter

I generally use a hairdryer to warm up the glue to let me remove the map from the OS cover. This makes it much easier to fold. 

Not a fan of the waterproof OS maps, they're too bulky

Deadeye 04 Dec 2018

Large freezer bag. Replace when worn

kathrync 04 Dec 2018

Harvey's waterproof maps are excellent and not bulky at all.

I also like Ortlieb map cases.  I used to have a half-size one which was great because it wasn't so bulky, but I lost it and haven't been able to find a replacement.  The full size one folds in half quite nicely though as long as you have squeezed all the air out.

jonnie3430 04 Dec 2018

Who cares as long as it keeps your map water proof in your bag. Best waterproof phone cases so you can use viewranger easily is the question!

PPP 04 Dec 2018

Just don't bother with the sandwich bag type closure as this will unlikely to stay shut completely and it's an absolute nightmare when trying to close it in winter, never mind in rainy conditions! 

Mine is an old style Lifeventure one, like this:

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/bags-and-storage/dristore-cases

My only pet peeve of map cases is the flimsy plastic carabiners they come with. They are either impossible to operate due to stiffness or they stay partially open and the map won't stay shut when folded for a long time. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...