Map Case Recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rockatt 01 Jan 2021

Hi just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Map cases for hillwalking. Ive previously just used cheap ones from go outdoors but they dont seem to last very long, is it worth paying more for something like an Ortlieb?

Thanks in advance 

top cat 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Rockatt:

Ortlieb each and every time.  Always.

Sell your granny/wife/husband/child if necessary.  But not your dog.

They don't last forever, bit nothing does.  Worth every penny.

Dr.S at work 01 Jan 2021
In reply to top cat:

100% agree

especially like my A5 sized one for chopped up bits of map

angry pirate 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Rockatt:

My ortleib mapcase is 20+ years old now. Worth every penny!

Pedro50 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Rockatt:

I have as new outlieb case 12 by 9 inches which I never use. Will post to you or anyone interested for £10

crayefish 01 Jan 2021
In reply to top cat:

Agreed!  Can't beat 'em.

Martin W 01 Jan 2021

Another vote here for the Ortlieb map cases, especially the A5 size.  Rather than cut up paper maps I print out the area I'm going to be walking/running/cycling/climbing in from the OS Maps web site (making sure that it's printed properly to scale) and pop that in the case.  You can roll it up and stick it in a trouser pocket - so much more wieldy and easy to get at than having a map case flapping around your neck, or just fitting in the jacket pocket that's supposed to be big enough for a map but always involves a bit of a struggle to get the thing out (especially since the Ortlieb cases have a useful, slightly grippy/rubbery surface finish rather than being slippery like cheap plastic cases).

Welsh Kate 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin W:

This.

Though I attach mine to my rucksack with a piece of accessory cord so it can't blow away. I find the grippy surface really useful for navving - the little ?silicone feet on the bottom of my compass stick to it really well!

bouldery bits 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Rockatt:

I recommend throwing it in the bin and only using waterproof maps. 

:P

OP Rockatt 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Rockatt:

Thanks all, think I'll splash the cash on an Ortlieb then.

Pedro50 thanks for the offer but want the A5 one.

Cheers 

tehmarks 01 Jan 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

Harvey waterproof maps, specifically. The OS waterproof maps are dire!

Jenny C 02 Jan 2021

> I recommend throwing it in the bin and only using waterproof maps. 

> :P

Totally agree, my Peak District OS (the yellow outdoor leisure) are 20+ yrs old and still going strong. £10 well spent.

Wainers44 02 Jan 2021

> I recommend throwing it in the bin and only using waterproof maps. 

> :P

Totally agree. Imho map cases are designed to smack you in the face if you wear it round your neck, or take up way too much space in your pack if you get fed up with that happening.

A4 size ziplock IKEA bag is a lightweight alternative if you need to carry paper map. Usually last about a year so not single use.

Post edited at 07:13
 veteye 02 Jan 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

I agree to buying new waterproof maps, though sometimes if you have lost a map, without realising until in the area where you are going to walk, you may find that local shops do not sell them (they only sell the cheaper non-waterproof maps).

More to the point, is that I have non-waterproof maps which are 30-40 years old, which I still use, and those do need a map case, otherwise in constant drizzle/cloud/rain the paper details begin to rub off, and that may be a real problem out on the hill.

Water proof maps are harder to mark than the old paper maps, or maps printed off at home.

In reply to Rockatt:

Ortlieb.

Never go for cheaper/stiffer ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...