Mammut/ go outdoors poor customer service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stagg 24 Sep 2019

Hi guys,I bought a rope a couple of years ago and it has been used 6 times maximum over those 2 years. Upon a climb in dartmoor in the summer the rope frayed badly and now is unusable. I have tried taking it back to go outdoors and they were no help at all due to it being over a year old. I also went back to mammut directly who were even less helpful as they said take it back to go outdoors. Does anyone have any contacts who I can contact about this issue? I am very annoyed with the merry go round as no one wants to help! The rope is brand new apart from the damaged sustained at dartmoor.

mik82 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

Sorry if I'm being unhelpful but if the rope is two years old and has been damaged on some Dartmoor granite then it's not going to be "brand new apart from..". It's quite easy to ruin a rope by running it over an abrasive edge.

Companies seem to respond more promptly to social media criticism nowadays if you haven't tried that yet.

Post edited at 22:05
Deadeye 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

Dude, you've got an old rope and you've trashed it.

Get a new one.

TobyA 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

Chop it at the damage, and you've now got a shorter rope, that's handy to have on shorter cliffs.

gethin_allen 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

It's perfectly possible to ruin a rope on it's first use, it's just the way things go. I'm pretty sure it says this in the product info somewhere.

Try to learn from your mistake and sort your ropes so that they don't run over sharp edges.

olddirtydoggy 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

I bought a car last year and my wife crashed it. Can I have another one please?

Donotello 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

Funniest post in ages.

Post edited at 00:10
 DaveHK 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

If you have a look at your rights etc under the Consumer Rights Act you'll see you don't really have any kind of claim here.

WaterMonkey 25 Sep 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> I bought a car last year and my wife crashed it. Can I have another one please?

Certainly, blonde or brunette?

Neil Williams 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

Er, you damaged a rope and you expect someone else to pay for it?  Wha?

olddirtydoggy 25 Sep 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Hahahaha!

yorkshire_lad2 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

If you bought the rope from Go Outdoors, your claim & contract would seem to be with Go Outdoors (not Mammut).  Mammut would not seem to be under an obligation to assist. If you can prove it's an inherent fault, you might have a chance after a year, but good luck! IANAL. 

Neil Williams 26 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

He doesn't have a claim to anything if he fuzzed a rope while using it!

JIMBO 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Stagg:

> ...Upon a climb in dartmoor in the summer the rope frayed badly and now is unusable.

Did you use rope protectors on one of the sharpest and most abrasive rock types known to man?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...