Lightweight approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 09 Apr 2021

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions, as it's years since I had to buy new shoes! Looking for a pair for general cragging and mountain approaches. Would like something very light so as to not be too annoying on the harness. Around 5-600g would be good. Don't need to be any good for climbing, although decent traction on grass would be important.

The Sportiva TX2 looks great, but I believe they're not at all water resistant, which for mountain routes isn't really very appealing. I've started looking at goretex lined trail running shoes, but it's somewhat overwhelming. I'll try to get into a shop at some point to try on and buy, but in the meantime - anyone have suggestions I could look into?

Cheers,

Prof. Outdoors 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Mowglee:

Innov8 running shoes/ Salomon XT trail or Walsh fell shoes. Non goretex version dry much quicker and give options to use waterproof socks or normal socks. I quite often climb DIffs in my Innov8s.

A physical shop like Needlesports, Climbers Shop, Outside have good range and wealth of knowledge but internet wise Sportsshoes.com is your friend.

There is a post re footwear for Pennine Way. Some of the comments may applicable to your needs.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/hill_talk/pennine_way_footwear-733277

Tim Davies 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Mowglee:

there’s a really cheap brand of fell running shoe that sells for about £35 at the moment - think they’re branded as the Cheviot or similar 

friend bought a pair and said they’re really good value 

Tim Davies 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Tim Davies:

More mile Cheviot £25 

galpinos 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Mowglee:

For just approaches, any fell or trail shoe.

For climbing and approaching, TX Guide (if it fits your foot).

TX2 has a dotty style sole. Better than Tennies but still not great on steep grass.

Steve Woollard 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Mowglee:

I've got TX2's and they are great descent shoes, very light and have elastic cords to keep them together when clipped to your harness. But I agree they could do with a gortex membrane and if I know it's likely to be wet on the approach I'll wear something more appropriate on the walk in

robert-hutton 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Tim Davies:

> More mile Cheviot £25 

Or the HigherState Soil Shaker Trail Running shoe at £29 bit heavy for a running shoe but better than many £100 approach shoes.

Plus has deep studs works very well on grass ect.

Post edited at 12:57
In reply to Tim Davies:

> More mile Cheviot £25 

Don't buy these they're heavy and really poor quality. I bought a pair as training shoes for short boggy runs and the soles started falling off after a couple of months.

In reply to Mowglee:i

Look at inov8 roclites. The 315 has a goretex membrane and is reassuringly rugged whilst being pretty ligh and the sole is a really good compromise for traction on all sorts of ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...