Lake District Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomwalton 30 Nov 2019

Hello all,

Looking to update my Lake District guide from the FRCC 2003 volume and wondering if anyone would recommend /be able to compare the FRCC 2015 Lake District Rock guide by wired or the new Rockfax Lake District Climbs guide. 

Size, weight, clarity or topos? Any one have any preference for one guide over the other? 

steveb2006 30 Nov 2019
In reply to tomwalton:

I have the wired guide which I like. It is on the heavy side though but for multipitch routes I have scanned and printed off the relevant chapters.

Steve

Alpenglow 30 Nov 2019
In reply to tomwalton:

I have the both the wired and rockfax guides.

I find the rockfax guide much better with very clear topos. All routes are on the same page as their topos with rockfax, unlike the wired guide.

Mark Kemball 30 Nov 2019
In reply to tomwalton:

I really like the new Rockfax guide, the only downside is that it is a bit heavy!

In reply to tomwalton:

Stick with the 2003 edition. It is lightweight, compact and easy to use unlike the more recent coffee table books. 

Mark Eddy 30 Nov 2019
In reply to tomwalton:

The 2003 edition is better than either of the newer guides for taking out to the crags as it is much smaller and still has the info you'll need. As a coffee table / reference guide, either of the newer guides will be fine. I have the Wired guide and like it but it never goes to the crag with me

stewart murray 30 Nov 2019
In reply to tomwalton: The 2003 selected is more practical for taking out on the hill. Between the Wired and the Rockfax, the Wired has a wider range of crags and more routes, the Rockfax is perhaps clearer in terms of layout. Both are bulked out with photos. 

In reply to steveb2006:

> I have the wired guide which I like. It is on the heavy side though but for multipitch routes I have scanned and printed off the relevant chapters.

Doesn't having to employ such a work around make the guide unfit for purpose? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...