La Sportiva Batura 2 - resole advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al_Mac 23 Mar 2018

My Batura's have taken a fair amount of abuse over the past couple of seasons on rocky walk ins and the front bail recess has taken a hammering. This has meant I've already had to re-groove it with a small round file to stop the bail popping off but it's not an ideal solution and it'll only last so long. Does anyone therefore have any suggestions for where to get them resoled, including a new bail section on the front? I have Googled but not really come up with many options, and certainly none in the UK. I like the boots and really don't want to have to look at replacing them just because the front section has worn. Cheers!

Roberttaylor 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Bump, I'm on exactly the same situation.

Jonny Allen 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Hey guys. What sizes are youz both? Cos I need to get around to selling my vgc pair sometime. I offer that just in case it might turn out to be your easiest and/or most economical option! :-s

Post edited at 11:15
OP Al_Mac 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Jonny Allen:

I'm a 45, although if truth be told I'd probably get along better with a 46. Even with a replacement pair I'd still like to get these resoled as I really hate being wasteful with things that should be totally repairable.

Post edited at 11:40
 Jonny Allen 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Ooh, 45.5!

Which should have fit/be fitting me perfectly, going by my snug 45 Spantiks and 46 Rebel Ultras, but curiously and very annoyingly just wont, no matter what I try (my big toes just seem to be half a size too long for the rest of my skinny ankled feet. for every brand. Grrr. 20 years ago I actually started off as a size 44.5 in original Freneys and then Phantoms, until my feet started to slowly collapse a decade ago <sad face>). 

So they’re gonna have to go sadly.

Interested??

Regards,

Jonny. 

OP Al_Mac 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Jonny Allen:

Yeah, definitely interested, price dependant (about to be made redundant so not being totally flash with the cash right now!). Have you got any pictures of their condition?

Jonny Allen 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

> .... Even with a replacement pair I'd still like to get these resoled as I really hate being wasteful with things that should be totally repairable.

Yeah, I hear ya. I’m totally the same in that way and in other similar ones . For example, I used to be wild for keeping ‘spare’ gear I’d upgraded from for example ‘just in case’ I came across potential climbing partners with talent but not, or less than desirable kit that would enable them to ‘keep up’ with me easier on stuff I knew they’d be safely capable of. 

Took me far too long to realise I was gonna have to sack that shit in though, for a million reasons, sadly with stopping the waste of years of my climbing life by looking in the wrong place for said people being the biggest one. 

But to get back to your point, sort of: yeah, if you’re gonna consider mine just as a backup/ replacement pair (if you like them that much. Read on) you might want to check what the cost and level of hassle to re-sole them would actually be. Because good for me, bad for you unfortunately, they appear to have quietly become unusually valuable 2nd hand to a hard-core group of fans who seem to be unconvinced to switch to the new G5s, for some reason, which has obviously and simultaneously now made the Batura 2s impossible to buy new and or even on clearance sales anymore. 

Regards,

Jonny. 

Jonny Allen 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Ha. You’re too quick for me, as I suspected you might be whilst I was typing that last diatribe above, lol.  

Shall we take this to DMs? Prob should anyway yeah? Swop proper email address for photos or even WhatsApp numbers (or iMessages?) if that’sd interest to make it even simpler, non?  

Post edited at 12:14
OP Al_Mac 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Jonny Allen:

Ha, indeed I've looked at the price they're going for which is quite frankly, ridiculous. However, I've replied to your email so let's talk!

On the front of the resole @RobertTaylor, I've just spoken to Feet First in Cheshire (no idea how I missed them when searching before) and they reckon on £70 for the sole and £50 for the grey plastic midsole, which would need to be special ordered in as it's different to the rest of the Sportiva range. I'm going to send mine down once the winter's done as I'll be needing them for the alps this summer and there's no way they'll survive that in their current state. I did try to create a little ridge with some epoxy but unfortunately the cold makes it quite brittle so it just chips off the first time you stub your toe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...