La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST GTX for Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adr88 18 Mar 2023

Hi, does anyone have experience with this boots in summer in Alps? 

At the moment I use two boots:

• Meindl Bhutan MFS - for summer hiking, scrambling and low mountains winter hikes (Snowdonia, Scottish mountains, etc.)
  • La Sportiva Nepal Extreme - for higher Alps in summer 

Nepal Extreme performs really well in Alps, but I'm finding them too heavy for many situations, and also uncomfortable on rocky approaches. So I'm looking for something lighter, that will still be able to perform well in alpine environment on easier routes; no technical ice climbing. Eg. normal routes on Mount Blanc, Dufforspitze, Grossglockner, etc. 

I've found La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST GTX, which initially looks like good candidates. 

But... will it be a good choice for this kind to usage?

John Cuthbert 20 Mar 2023
In reply to adr88:

hey buddy, I bought a pair last summer and used them for 4 weeks through September across a variety of alpine terrain. I've also used them for a few days in the Scottish wintery hills of late soling grade I/II ice.

I can't recommend these boots highly enough. They are fantastic all rounders. They're not a B3 technical boot so my crampons have popped off on steep grade III ground when I've been kicking hard, but they are fab for general mountaineering.

They are particularly comfy and lightweight for walking. I have some leg and feet issues and these have really helped, specifically on the descents. 

John C

timparkin 20 Mar 2023
In reply to John Cuthbert:

> I can't recommend these boots highly enough. They are fantastic all rounders. They're not a B3 technical boot so my crampons have popped off on steep grade III ground when I've been kicking hard, but they are fab for general mountaineering.

I've found if you purposefully bend your boot a bit as you tighten the crampons, it helps to secure them better. 

ianstevens 20 Mar 2023
In reply to adr88:

This is literally what they are designed for, so… 

HomerTheFat 20 Mar 2023
In reply to adr88:

I have used the leather version on easy 4000s and they are perfect for it, comfy on the long walk-in and acclimatisation walks and strong and stable enough for all-day crampon work. Also used for Scottish I/II with no issues. Best boots I own

TobyA 20 Mar 2023
In reply to John Cuthbert:

> I can't recommend these boots highly enough. They are fantastic all rounders.

> They're not a B3 technical boot so my crampons have popped off on steep grade III ground when I've been kicking hard, but they are fab for general mountaineering.

I'm not sure if having a crampon come off is much of a recommendation! What crampons were they and were they a step in binding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...