La sportiva advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MrToffee 10 Jan 2020

Time buy some new boots my standard hill walking ones are fine but i need some new crampon compatible boots.

Ive been looking at the La sportivas but i cant decide between the La Sportiva nepal extreme or the La Sportiva Karakorum I've been in outdoor shops tried them on and discussed them with the staff but non had worn them on the mountains. Has anyone got a pair/owned a pair and could give me advice one them to help me sway my decision? 

Wil Treasure 10 Jan 2020
In reply to MrToffee:

What are you planning to use them for?

The key difference is that the Nepal is probably a bit warmer.

pass and peak 10 Jan 2020
In reply to MrToffee:

The Nepal Extreme's (I've had several pairs) are a category B3 boot that are rather ridged and meant more for climbing in crampons and Alpinism. You'll find them very stiff and uncomfortable if your just looking at winter walking! I don't know the Karakorum but by the look of them I expect there the same, if your stuck on La Sportiva then the KARAKORUM HC GTX, may be better suited . Best bet is to go to a shop that has a good selection and knowledgeable staff and tell them your looking for a B2 boot if its just for walking and easier climbing. 

anthonylewis 10 Jan 2020
In reply to pass and peak:

Second this. I have a very old pair of lasporriva karakoram (maybe the predecessor - in a dark blue suede) and I now have a pair of Nepal Cube. Its not the perfect comparison but pretty close. It depends on what you want to use them for. If its winter walking and general mountaineering then the karakoram will work well. The Nepals are stiffer, and are not so good for walking/hiking; better suited for alpinism etc. 

HeMa 10 Jan 2020
In reply to pass and peak:

Pretty much so.

Nepals are for winter climbing. Karakorams (or some other models, like a few of the Trango series or Nepal Treks) are for hiking.

MrToffee 10 Jan 2020

Sorry i should of added what they will be used for. Mainly in the UK where there is snow and ice and possibly Europe alps etc. Nothing too extreme attitude wise (yet) 

are the karakorum as good as the nepals when it comes to crampons? do they keep your feet warm enough? 

Post edited at 12:10
 anthonylewis 11 Jan 2020
In reply to MrToffee:

Would be helpful to know what you are using them for - as above - winter walking/easy mountaineering or alpinism/winter climbing? 

olddirtydoggy 11 Jan 2020
In reply to MrToffee:

I use a pair of Hanwag B2's for winter hiking, scrambling and gully climbs in Scottish winter. These boots are similar to the Triango in Sportiva. I wouldn't want to be hanging around on winter belays for long but as a boot where I keep moving it works well. Waterproof, light and fairly stiff.

For dedicated winter climbing with switching leads, long belays and low temps I use a pair of Nepal Cubes. Great for what they're designed for.

MrToffee 13 Jan 2020

I went in ellis brigham and the man told me they was both B3 grade, Main reason i couldn't make my mind up! I went into the local Liverpool store and was corrected and made aware the Nepal are B3 and karakorum are actually B2 so I’ve gone with the Nepals.

Thanks for the advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...