Knot advice/ video please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kevster 22 Sep 2018

Hello,

Trying to find a video of a knot being tied. But dont know what the knot's called.

I use it as an alternative to an alpine butterfly.

You tie a slip knot (marlin spike hitch style), the with the end which tightens the formed loop. You make a half hitch and pass the original loop through this half hitch.

Job done.

A video speaks a thousand words tho......

Thanks!!!

OP Kevster 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

Surely this knot has a name? Or am I the only one to use it? 

TimH 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

Sounds like a caver's butterfly.  youtube.com/watch?v=s9JBYtG-d_Y& 

OP Kevster 22 Sep 2018
In reply to TimH:

Thank you, thats the knot. 

As an aside.... Thinking about the video

The video shows it deform slightly, however, given the loop would also be under tension, I am not sure if the deformation would actually matter/ happen in the same manner.

Especially as I use it for rigging ab ropes, so a relatively low and static loading.

If someone with a superior knowledge wishes to comment on the use of this knot, please do.

jon 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

Don't want to comment on the knot, just ask why you use it instead of the regular butterfly?

OP Kevster 22 Sep 2018
In reply to jon:

Because I find it easier to adjust/ equalise if there is a long loop required than say the alpine butterfly. 
Its also easier to tie imo. But then I only know the wrap it 3 times around your hand method for the alpine butterfly. Even though I'm good with knots, the twist a loop method for alpine butterfly just doesnt come easily for me, and I'd rather use a knot that doesn't argue with me.

In reply to Kevster:

Doesn't look like a great knot.

OP Kevster 24 Sep 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Look and function may be different. I've used this knot many times and it is a useful knot, though I am open to adjusting my point of view should a compelling reason be given.

Just appearance isn't quite enough imo to reject it out of hand.

Overhand knot for joining 2 ropes to ab on? On first appearance you'd think it a death knot.....

Clove hitch, simple, too simple possibly?

Tie in with a re threaded overhand knot, again, not what they teach you at the wall, but still holds just fine.

Incedently, I've seen this knot taught as part of the spa training. Is there a recognised knot list, or is that down to individual instructors?

Cheers. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...