Kettles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 24 Sep 2022

I've got a blue kettle, it boils water fairly well but it's really really noisy.  Any idea how to make it quieter (it's always been noisy from new so it's not scale).  Alternatively any recommendations for silent kettles?

In reply to gravy:

I've got a 10 quid special from Tesco, seems fairly unobtrusive and water comes out hot!

Mate of mine had a bluetooth, £100 kettle, what a total con! 😂

Hooo 24 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

We've got a Russell Hobbs 20460. It's marketed as quiet boiling and it is definitely quieter than our previous kettle. Was a similar price to other kettles IIRC.

stani 24 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

I like the ones that whistle 😊

In reply to stani:

Flipping love a whistling kettle. fond memories of camping holidays

veteye 24 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

Sometimes Which magazine reports on kettles, and I bought one for work based on being less noisy and it is, but it is now a few years old. Not sure if it's still made.

Ciro 24 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

Could get a boiling water tap?

oldie 25 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

Vague memories of preventing violent boiling in school lab by adding inert particles or lumps eg marbles (?). Presumably something softish and nontoxic would be less noisy.

Fraser 25 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

Is it a 'fast-boil' kettle? If so, that's probably why it's very noisy, they're a lot louder than the regular boilers. 

OP gravy 25 Sep 2022
In reply to Ciro:

No way! I've seen the adverts for those and there is no way on earth I could pull off feeling that smug about anything to do with broccoli!

Post edited at 23:26
 Umfana 26 Sep 2022
In reply to oldie:

> Vague memories of preventing violent boiling in school lab by adding inert particles or lumps eg marbles (?). Presumably something softish and nontoxic would be less noisy.

Do not ever try to boil marbles!

I did. I nearly died.

I had a good reason for doing so as I needed some completely sterile weights as part of making beer. I thought boiling them would be a great way of sterilising them. What actually happened is one of them exploded and it set off a chain reaction of explosions. A bit like making popcorn but with glass shrapnel effects for added fun. A actually pulled some glass fragments from the plaster on the ceiling.

Don't ever boil marbles.

timjones 26 Sep 2022
In reply to gravy:

> I've got a blue kettle, it boils water fairly well but it's really really noisy.  Any idea how to make it quieter (it's always been noisy from new so it's not scale).  Alternatively any recommendations for silent kettles?

Have you considered ear plugs

chris_r 26 Sep 2022
In reply to Umfana:

> Do not ever try to boil marbles!

> I did. I nearly died.

This cautionary tale has really really made me want to boil a kettleful of marbles.

Philip 26 Sep 2022
In reply to oldie:

Anti-bumping granules.

> Vague memories of preventing violent boiling in school lab by adding inert particles or lumps eg marbles (?). Presumably something softish and nontoxic would be less noisy.

FactorXXX 26 Sep 2022
In reply to Umfana:

> Do not ever try to boil marbles!
> I did. I nearly died.
> I had a good reason for doing so as I needed some completely sterile weights as part of making beer. I thought boiling them would be a great way of sterilising them. What actually happened is one of them exploded and it set off a chain reaction of explosions. A bit like making popcorn but with glass shrapnel effects for added fun. A actually pulled some glass fragments from the plaster on the ceiling.
> Don't ever boil marbles.

You should have used Elgin Marbles as they're mostly armless.

Post edited at 18:59
 Neil Williams 26 Sep 2022
In reply to chris_r:

> This cautionary tale has really really made me want to boil a kettleful of marbles.

Having "retired to a safe distance" as the phrase goes I guess...

OP gravy 26 Sep 2022
In reply to timjones:

Yeah but no but:

I want the kettle to be quieter so I can listen to the radio while I make my tea...

Post edited at 19:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...