Keela or Buffalo Jacket. Are they made in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 guffers_hump 07 Sep 2020

Looking for a new jacket as my Rohan ascent jacket is old and no terribly good.

I stuck between the Buffalo Fell and the Keela stratus.

I will be using it for hiking in the UK, but I prefer single layer jackets that I can layer up underneath.

Are these jackets made in the UK. The buffalo says they are but can't really find anywhere that says that about the Keela.

Cheers

Forester3 07 Sep 2020
In reply to guffers_hump:

Buffalo stuff is UK made, though I’m pretty sure Keela stuff is (or certainly was) made in Sri Lanka.

Williecleuch 07 Sep 2020

Keela is made in Glenrothes, Fife. Good factory shop.

johnlc 07 Sep 2020

Yep - You can go to the industrial estate in Sheffield and drop in and see the machinists all making the Buffalo gear.

Guy Hurst 07 Sep 2020

AFAIK the Fell and Stratus jackets are very different beasts. I've had a Fell jacket for more than 20 years and so know it provides good windproofing and a modest level of insulation, so is good for wearing for much of the day in a range of cool conditions, but not heavy rain unless with a light waterproof over the top. It's similar to Rab Vapour Rise or Marmot Driclime, but I would say better. I find it best with just a base layer underneath it, because it moves away sweat really well when used like that. Getting one loose enough to fit more layers underneath would rather defeat the object.

From what I know of the Stratus, it's a very heavy duty waterproof you probably wouldn't want to wear unless it was pouring down, or snowing. You wouldn't want to carry it very far, either.

In reply to Williecleuch:

> Keela is made in Glenrothes, Fife.

Is it all though?
I’ve read somewhere online that, at least in the past, Keela said their manufacturing was split between Glenrothes and Sri Lanka (their sister facility run by member of the founder’s family).

I find it surprising that nowhere on their current website, nor their clothing labels, as far as I’ve seen, do they say where clothing is made.

OP guffers_hump 15 Sep 2020

Alright thanks for all the replies. I will probably go with Buffalo as my friend just bought a Keela and I can't get the same jacket as him haha. Also because they are definitely made in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...