Kayak trolley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 18 Jun 2020

Any thoughts on this or any alternatives?  

The Lomo ones look to have better wheels but are not in stock

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kayak-transport-trailer-id_8511713.html

I'm sure this is similar to the one I've used before but the shop I got it from no longer exists.  

It's for a sea kayak if that makes a difference.  

Run_Ross_Run 18 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I have one of these for my SOT. Its spot on. 

copy the description into the bay''Conwy Kayak Foldable Canoe Cart Trolley 120kg''

Darren. 

supersteve 18 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I have these wheels for my sit on kayak and they are ideal. 

Tim Sparrow 18 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

You need a C-tug.

By far the best kayak trolley. Almost all the kayak fishermen I know use them for their loaded up SOTs.

Can be dismantled easily and stowed inside the kayak. They are pretty bombproof and travel well over rough ground, cobbles, sand etc

https://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/equipment/c-tug-kayak-trolley.htm

Post edited at 22:35
 mp3ferret 18 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Had one of those on a trip along the great glen.  Portaging 4 loaded canoes - the wheels fell off on day 2.

deepsoup 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I haven't seen one in the flesh, the devil's in the detail with the build quality eh?

It looks a bit bulky when it's folded up to me, I could imagine it being a bit of a pain to fit in a hatch especially if you're carrying kit for a camping trip or something.  (Not a problem of course if you're going to be leaving it with the car.)

I have an Eckla trolley basically the same as that 'model A' Lomo one.  I didn't buy it - it was chucked in with some other bits and bobs by the seller when I bought a sea kayak on ebay.  It's fine (at over three times the price of the Lomo one I see), but I'm quite tempted to upgrade to a KCS trolley while fantasising about all sorts of expeditions just now.

Mal Grey 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

For general "car to water" stuff, the Decathlon and Lomo will be just fine.

If its for longer trips with a laden boat on portages for considerable distances, I'd consider the C-Tug or an Eckla. 

I have the C-Tug and its been used with very heavily laden canoes for distances of about 5 miles on Landrover tracks, on numerous occasions. Yes, we're that daft.

Whatever you get, if you're using it anywhere other than close to car/home, get solid foam wheels. The standard pneumatic ones seem to be prone to explosive punctures which take out the tyre as well as inner; we've had 3 of these on longer trips, all of which were impossible to mend and involved re-thinking our routes. Even a small inner tube puncture is a real bastard to fix in the field, they're so hard to get on and off.

toad 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I'll add another vote for the c-tug. Seems bombproof, and collapses to a very small size, which helps us with packing. only weakness is the stand/ leg, which I managed to snap. Granted I was using it to move 3m logs at the time, so not exactly a manufacturing defect

cb294 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Mal Grey:

+1 for Eckla, but there are 1:1 copies available on the net for about half the price if the build quality of the Eckla carts is not essential. Also, it pays to invest in a good pair of straps with stainless steel ratchets, so much less faff than trying to tie down your boat using straps with half corroded aluminium clips...

CB

OP marsbar 19 Jun 2020
In reply to mp3ferret:

The decathlon one?  

What a nightmare.  Definitely need wheels for that.  

OP marsbar 19 Jun 2020
In reply to deepsoup and Mal

Eckla is the one I've used before.

I couldn't remember the name.  Thanks. 

OP marsbar 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

The C tug wheels look better.  

ScraggyGoat 19 Jun 2020

C-tug is robust and effective, and very quick to assemble. Note the wheels don't go through a standard round sea kayak hatch, just in case your boat doesn't have an oval hatch.  If you get the inflatable version, deflating the tyre means you can push through a round hatch, but then you need to inflate with a bicycle pump to use, a pain, and provides midgies lunch. As mentioned above you are also at risk of tyre/tube failure. You maybe able to store them in front of your foot pegs.  You can cheaply buy smaller diameter trolley wheels from other manufacturers that will fit through standard hatches, obviously useless for portages but fine for trolleying on smooth surfaces, e.g. on and off ferries 

Disagree on comments regarding size, C-tug does take a fair amount of space up in your hatches.

I never bothered to fit the stand leg. Try and keep sand out of the roller/bearing surfaces as on the c-tug it will wear the plastic (probably a good idea for all makes).

Horses for course, if just getting on and off ferries get a small light collapsible job, if likely to do anything more something more robust is essential. 

Post edited at 11:54
 deepsoup 19 Jun 2020
In reply to cb294:

> +1 for Eckla, but there are 1:1 copies available on the net for about half the price if the build quality of the Eckla carts is not essential.

As far as the smaller ones go (Eckla Atlantic, Palm Caddy, that out of stock 'type A' Lomo one) there's so little to it that it's hard to see how the build quality could really vary all that much. 

From a manufacturer's point of view, there seems to be very little that could be done to my Eckla trolley to make it cheaper to produce.  It's quite light-duty and to be honest unlikely to stand up to the sort of long arduous portages that Mal is talking about any better than the real cheapies.

mp3ferret 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I can't remember if it was from decathlon - but it was exactly the same as the one you linked to.  If i remember correctly one wheel cracked - then we lost the pin.  Mind these were 16ft canoes with a fair amount of kit in them.

robhorton 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I've got something similar - I use it for getting boats from car to sea and back, normally leaving it in the car - which it's fine for. It's not massively robust so you need to be a bit careful with it and I wouldn't use it for heavily loaded boats, especially over rough ground or long distances. Depends what you need it for really...

OP marsbar 19 Jun 2020
In reply to robhorton:

>Depends what you need it for really...

Right now just for short distance and nothing too rough.  So from that point of view the Conway Canoes one seems like a really good deal. 

But then I wonder if I will kick myself in future if I do need something more robust.  

I will have a think.  

kevin stephens 19 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar:

We use one of these, dismantles easily to fit into a round hatch

https://kayakcarriers.co.uk/product/ky-ex-mark5-expedition-trolley-10-inch-...

deepsoup 20 Jun 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

> We use one of these, dismantles easily to fit into a round hatch
> https://kayakcarriers.co.uk/product/ky-ex-mark5-expedition-trolley-10-inch-...

That's interesting, are you sure?  It says there "These 10″ foam filled wheels do not fit any of the 10″ round hatches." 
You don't have the version with 8" wheels?  Or unusually large (non-Kajaksport) hatches?

The Kajaksport hatches that (most of?) the UK boat manufacturers call "10 inch" are actually only 240mm across - a bit under 9 1/2 inches.  But then I just measured the nominal 200mm wheels on my Eckla trolley and they're actually more like 190mm.

Post edited at 11:46
 kevin stephens 20 Jun 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks, my mistake - we have the 8 inch wheel version

https://kayakcarriers.co.uk/product/ky-ex-mark5-expedition-trolley/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...