Karrimor Hot ice sac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john campbell 24 Mar 2023

I though some of you would like to see these reproductions of the Karrimor Hot Ice pack. all three of these went back to the UK, including one, as a trade, for the gentleman, elliptic, is his username, who sent me his battered old original to take apart to make this pattern.

Rum Doodles in Llanberis sells these.

elliptic 24 Mar 2023
In reply to john campbell:

There's a picture of the battered original in my gallery.

Looking forward to getting another 35+ years of use out of the replacement!

OP john campbell 24 Mar 2023
In reply to elliptic:

it shipped on monday. it's funny, sort of, on how much smaller packs for ice climbing used to be. we must have had less crap to carry along.

BRILLBRUM 24 Mar 2023
In reply to john campbell: The original and the repro’ are both beauts!

Now I did think I had a Hot Ice, but perhaps not. Any idea what this is, is it the Hot Earth of the same Era? Small Girl was doing a ‘this girl can’ day at school hence all the retro junk attached.

In reply to BRILLBRUM:

they were all pretty similar, except the hot earth had top pocket on the lid

In reply to BRILLBRUM:

There were also the simple 'Hot' series: Hot 30, Hot 40 (or 45?), as well as the more tailored Hot Ice, Hot Route & Hot Earth.

The Hot 30 had twin axe loops. Mine is waiting me using some spirit vinegar to clean off some mildew...

In reply to BRILLBRUM:

that looks like a hot ice. 

GrahamD 24 Mar 2023

Used to love my Hot Earth.  If I couldn't get the weekend in it, I was trying to pack too much.

Exile 24 Mar 2023
In reply to elliptic:

A trip down memory lane fella? 

wilkesley 24 Mar 2023

ISTR my original Hot Ice, which is up in the attic somewhere, only had a single loop for an axe which was a bit of a design fault.

BigBrother 24 Mar 2023

I am pretty certain even the early ones would have had elasticated sides to the lid rather than just a flat flap. Of course they didn't stay stretchy for ever.

The New NickB 24 Mar 2023

These are very cool, if a little spendy (I understand why). It was the Hot Earth that I lusted after and couldn’t afford. I could now if available.

Does somewhat reinforce the tragedy of Karrimor.

Post edited at 23:12
 elliptic 24 Mar 2023
In reply to Exile:

> A trip down memory lane fella? 

Indeed, that sack had a lot of history thrashing up things in the 90s - I think it might even have featured in a R+R advert at some point. John's comment about capacity was generally solved by only having the bare necessities to put in it as you'll no doubt remember!

TobyA 25 Mar 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I bet her school were overjoyed at her bringing the Vertige in! :⁠-⁠) 

I've got the same mittens although I have to admit they haven't been out on a hill in a long time.

OP john campbell 25 Mar 2023
In reply to BigBrother:

yes, some did indeed. i cannot find that quality of elastic in the right colors. with the reproductions my goal is 90% original. some of the hardware/webbing just isn't the same as it was when some of the old sacs were made, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

i have searched for years for the webbing with the buckle holes, even contacting manufacturers in China to see if i could get it made, but would have had to buy 5000 meters, per color. 

Exile 25 Mar 2023
In reply to elliptic:

I was going to say exactly that - loads of room in one of those for your post student rack... and a flask that was used as a back roller to assist upward progress in Savage Slit if memory serves me correctly(?) 

Steve Woollard 25 Mar 2023

Still using my original Hot Ice

critter 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Steve Woollard:

Same here!

Howard J 26 Mar 2023

Me too.

alex_th 26 Mar 2023

Seriously...? Mine (bought perhaps in 1993) only lasted about five years. You must look after it well... or not get out enough

BRILLBRUM 27 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

TBF - they never noticed, the only thing they were concerned about were the massive BD Hexentrics swinging around off the back of her harness and the never used but much cherished stupidly big Bong piton I bought on a whim back in the day from Dick's in Bristol.

NathanP 27 Mar 2023
In reply to alex_th:

> Seriously...? Mine (bought perhaps in 1993) only lasted about five years. You must look after it well... or not get out enough

I'm not sure that the Karrimor of the 90s and onwards had quite the quality and durability of the 70s and 80s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...