Jet boil going slow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 03 Dec 2020

Hi, 

My jet boil now takes twice as long to boil water. I have stripped the nipple out and cleaned up the filter and even tried running without the filter. Any other ideas? Thanks 

ianstevens 03 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

How long have you had it? Used in cold conditions before? Tried different gas canisters?

(I presume yes to both, but good to get the low hanging fruit ticked off)

DaveHK 03 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Not sure about Jetboils specifically but the alpkit copy I had took forever to boil anything once you got below half a canister of gas.

Derry 03 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Mine is also running slow at the moment, but as said above, my cannister is nearing empty, and I've put it down to that.

rj_townsend 03 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I have a Jetboil-style stove and it is great on a full canister, but below half-full it becomes pretty poor. Normally shaking the canister helps, but obviously not as easy on this type of vertical stove rather than attached by hose. 

OP David Coley 03 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Had it 4 years, but used it not many times; tried new cylinders and run other jet boils on the same cylinder 

In reply to David Coley:

Does the burner appear to be weak, even when the valve is fully open?

Have you made sure you're screwing the canister on fully? Check the little prong that opens the Lindall valve on the canister. If it's not long enough, or is damaged, it may not be opening the canister valve properly.

lone 03 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

It's to do with the cold and the canister being under pressurised because of the cold

This website explains it well

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/why-do-canister-stoves-fail-...

L

In reply to captain paranoia:

> Does the burner appear to be weak, even when the valve is fully open? 

Yes

> Have you made sure you're screwing the canister on fully?

Yep, hard as sensible

>Check the little prong that opens the Lindall valve on the canister. If it's not long enough, or is damaged, it may not be opening the canister valve properly.

Might be a silly question, but how do I check how long it is meant to be? 

In reply to lone:

Unlikely to be the cold. Stove and canister had been in the house for a few days

In reply to David Coley:

> Might be a silly question, but how do I check how long it is meant to be? 

Compare it to other stoves  I'm afraid...

It should be nicely rounded. If it isnt, it may be broken.

jonny taylor 04 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

> Unlikely to be the cold. Stove and canister had been in the house for a few days

Not to labour a point, but you do know that the cylinder will be actively cooled during operation (evaporative cooling) and so will fairly quickly fall to below ambient temperature?

OP David Coley 04 Dec 2020
In reply to jonny taylor:

True, but I've used a jet boil in the snow many times, this is in my house. 

Tim Bevan 07 Dec 2020
In reply to David Coley:

Mine completely stopped working for a few years - eventually I worked out that a tiny bit of fluff from the filter had worked it's easy into the microscopic hole above that lets the gas through to the burner. I had to clear it out with an air compressor blowing from burner to filter through the hole (visa versa didn't work), works like a charm now! I left the filter out so it wouldn't happen again but have suffered a total loss of simmer control as a result, it's all our nothing now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...