Is toughtags a scam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phillip Benson 22 Mar 2023

I ordered a batch from them 6 weeks ago and haven`t heard anything despite multiple enquirys. Has anyone else had this problem?

tehmarks 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Phillip Benson:

I've used them multiple times over quite a few years, including just last month, and have always had impeccable service and no problems.

Post edited at 18:31
 Clwyd Chris 22 Mar 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

> I've used them multiple times over quite a few years, including just last month, and have always had impeccable service and no problems.

yes me too, I  think if I was going to come up with a scam selling labels to climbers wouldn't be the first thing that came to mind ! 

I ordered some toughtags a couple of weeks ago and they arrived no problem after about a week so from my experience they aren't a scam, just a small business trying to make a living.

tehmarks 22 Mar 2023

Is it possible your emails have landed in their spam folder?

olddirtydoggy 22 Mar 2023

Glad you posted, it reminded me I need to get an order in. Thanks.

Godwin 23 Mar 2023

I have used them and found them excellent. Have you phoned them https://www.toughtags.co.uk/contact/

Bit of a nasty subject line TBH

Iamgregp 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

The pluralising of "enquiry" is worse though. 

Godwin 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I truly hope the OP returns to the thread to let us know the outcomes 😀

timparkin 23 Mar 2023

100% not scam and probably best to edit the forum subject line when you get this resolved.. 

In reply to Godwin:

Your the last person who should be lecturing about subject lines. They were quick to take my money hut haven’t responded to any emails or calls. Therefore it’s not unreasonable to questions whether it’s a scam. Can’t find any reviews online either, apart from on their website.

In reply to Iamgregp:

English isn’t my first language, no need for online bullying.

Jenny C 23 Mar 2023

As you says it's a simple question (key word question, not accusation). 

From an the feedback they are reputable but just show on communication. Hopefully once you receive the tags you will update this thread to confirm they were legit, even if the customer service is less than perfect.

Worth bearing in mind that a lot of people will be dusting off their gear ready for the long evenings and upcoming Bank Holidays, so they are probably much busier than a few months ago. 

TobyA 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I was pretty certain I remembered a thread on UKC many many years ago about loads of people getting scammed over a similar product.  I found a post from over a decade ago that alludes to this https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/toughtags-408477?

So people have been scammed in the past for a similar product, and this chap has paid, got nothing, tried to contact them to ask, and heard nothing back. Why is asking if anyone else has had the same experience "nasty"? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It's not like we haven't seen before well loved climbing shops or suppliers go into liquidation and leave customers without their purchase and feeling conned. It happens with small businesses sadly.

nufkin 23 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

>  Why is asking if anyone else has had the same experience "nasty"? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

It does smack a little of a rhetorical tabloid article heading, though ('does illegal immigration cause cancer?') - to which the answer is almost invariably 'no'.
Perhaps ''Experiences of Toughtags' or somesuch would have been a little more balanced as a thread title

montyjohn 23 Mar 2023

Fair question. Ignore the criticism. People are weird.

TobyA 23 Mar 2023
In reply to nufkin:

Well, while lots of people have bought successfully from them in the past, it sounds like at least the OP still hasn't heard anything. If a business takes your money, doesn't send you what you bought, and does reply to enquiries - I could easily see why I might think "have I been scammed here?"

Hopefully whoever toughtags is might see this thread or hear about it, and sort Phillip out with his tags forthwith and then everyone is happy.

robate 24 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

The toughtags guys know about this thread now.

jpc1 24 Mar 2023

Hi Phillip Hope all is well.  We've replied to your e mail again this morning - please can you check that you have it ?  Sometimes our e mails end up in SPAM folders etc   The only e mail we have received from you is dated 14th March and we have replied to that.  We've also not received any phone calls / messages from you.  Hopefully you will have the e mail that was sent this morning but if haven't received it then its probably better for us to arrange to speak on the phone / send us a facebook message etc and we can sort for you.  Phone contact details available on the website  - I am working out of signal some of the weekend but can phone you back if you leave a message.  All the very best Jon - Toughtags 

RX-78 24 Mar 2023
In reply to jpc1:

Good to see a reply as i was thinking of putting in a order. I was out climbing with friends a few weeks ago and had great fun trying to figure out who owns what at the end of the day, except for one person  who had your product on all their stuff. I have wrapped some electrical tape around mine for now bit looks as if it could come loose.

Post edited at 14:32
In reply to jpc1:

Got your reply, seems like it was a problem with the post that was out of your hands. I never intended for this to get out of hand like it has, there are just too many outrage merchants on UKC. I apologise for causing a stirr but hope you can understand that I was beginning to get concerned as I had been out of pocket and hadn’t heard anything apart from the confirmation email.

Post edited at 19:38
 Stegosaur 25 Mar 2023
In reply to nufkin:

> It does smack a little of a rhetorical tabloid article heading, though ('does illegal immigration cause cancer?') - to which the answer is almost invariably 'no'.

Betteridge's law of headlines: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

Godwin 25 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Its a Micro Company, with Name, Address and Phone number clearly visible on the website. I suspect the Company has been trying to contact the OP and the OPs Spam Software has been Spamming them. TBH in this day and age people should be aware that e-commerce emails may land in SPAM folders, Hotmail is terrible for this, but it is a common problem.

The OP says they have called (phoned) them, and as I have never tried to phone that number, cannot comment on how their efficacy in answering calls.

But what I would say is that subject lines like this about Micro Companies to whom every customer is valuable, is a bit off.

If after a bit more digging it turns out a firm are rogues, yes for sure name and shame, but for sure, not in the opening line. 

Possibly, a nice thing, as a trusted reviewer would if you would order some Tough Tags, and do a review.

I can say they are excellent, I have had a nut I dropped in White Ghyll turn up in the post 3 years later, and other offers of gear be returned, that I have told the people to keep as not worth postage, but all in all I would say that Tough Tags more than pay for themselves in returned gear, over the years.

Post edited at 11:38
 bouldery bits 25 Mar 2023

So, Toughtags isn't a scam? 

TobyA 25 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

You don't seem to have followed the thread above - where this appears to have been resolved or at least is in the process of being resolved.

robate 25 Mar 2023
In reply to bouldery bits:

Nope, they are most definitely not a scam.

GrantM 25 Mar 2023

I ordered from them last year based on recommendations & service was great, just adding another positive experience to try to balance the subject line which I guess will start appearing in Google results.

Mark Kemball 25 Mar 2023

Been using my toughtags for a few years now, they do eventually wear out, but seem to last longer than anything else I’ve used in the past. 

Highly recommended. 

jpc1 25 Mar 2023

Hi Phillip 

No problem at all.  Yes there has been a major problem with international post earlier in the year but think its all sorted now.  No need to apologise, all fine and we're fairly relaxed about it all    As per e mail we sent Helen will get replacement Toughtags into the post for you on Monday.   We will e mail you tracking info etc   Have a great weekend.  Jon 

> Got your reply, seems like it was a problem with the post that was out of your hands. I never intended for this to get out of hand like it has, there are just too many outrage merchants on UKC. I apologise for causing a stirr but hope you can understand that I was beginning to get concerned as I had been out of pocket and hadn’t heard anything apart from the confirmation email.

Alan Breck 25 Mar 2023

Dropped a krab on Ben Hee (used for hanging a sun hat from the rucksac). Never missed it until back at the car. Got an e mail a couple of weeks later asking if I'd missed anything lately! So great idea that

works.

Mr Messy 26 Mar 2023

Playing top trumps here. All my gear is Touchtaged.

Dropped a belay plate in Canada last month. I got a phone call while there to say it was found and I got it back

Wow have they never heard of crag swag in Canada.  

timparkin 26 Mar 2023
In reply to jpc1:

> Hi Phillip 

> No problem at all.  Yes there has been a major problem with international post earlier in the year

Tell me about it! We were sending out books associated with an international landscape photography competition. All dispatched in early November. Most only arrived Mid February - we're still getting some arriving even as far as last week! That's an impressive four months delay!!

Philip 26 Mar 2023

What size did you order. I see they recommend 9 cm for climbing gear but I would have thought smaller would be easier on krabs and nuts.

This thread reminded me I've been meaning to label mine for several years.

jpd 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Philip:

I have the smaller (6cm?) ones and they are absolutely fine for climbing gear. There's plenty of length for the tag to go round a wire/carabiner and wrap over itself. I think the longer sizes would just make the wrap more bulky and more likely to catch on something. 

Philip 27 Mar 2023
In reply to jpd:

That's the confirmation I was hoping for - the 9 cm did look long. I tested some masking tape on a krab and it was 3.5 cm visible.

In reality it's more about not mixing with friends gear than expecting someone to post back a nut

Moacs 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Mr Messy:

> Wow have they never heard of crag swag in Canada.  

They're decent people who like to help.

Steve Woollard 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Philip:

I'd also suggest going for a light colour like yellow as the print is quite fine

Bobling 27 Mar 2023

Need to chip in on this thread.  I ordered some years ago to label my kid's stuff for a scout (Beaver) camp.  Still using them (put some on my eldest's new pair of glasses this morning) and from time to time something actually makes its way home on account of them.

Nothing but good things to say about Toughtags : )

tehmarks 28 Mar 2023
In reply to jpc1:

Just wanted to put my opinions to you directly as you're here in the thread. Nothing but good experience - I've been using Tough Tags to label my gear for years, but you were thus the obvious choice more recently when I needed to asset-tag some work equipment. Most of my rack is still labelled with my first order  in 2017, which is a testament to just how durable and long-lasting your tags are. And with less plastic waste at the crag from people losing tatty tape of their rack.

All-round win, as far as I'm concerned. Please keep going exactly as you are.

Philip 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Steve Woollard:

Thanks, too late, but I had that worry so I went with a colour I could see in the photos - green.

timparkin 28 Mar 2023

I've likewise had multiple orders from them. 

I also asked for a blank sheet of each colour as a custom order (so I could colour code nuts and also label some work equipment) and they were happy to oblige at their cost (it seemed like).

A class company and a class product

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...