Is a 14/5 year old climbing harness safe to use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbingnoob 20 Oct 2022

Hi guys,

I have a climbing harness I bought for my brother when he was like 10 or something. He's 24 now. He only used it once, and i've probably used it about 5 times or so. It has minimal wear and looks new still. It has been properly cared for and stored. Question is, is it still safe to use? I'm going thailand in a few months and am trying to decide whether to buy a new one or just use this one? I did feel safe using it until as recently as a year or two ago, but since reading about climbing harnesses online (shelf life being 5  years or so) i've become paranoid.

What's everyone's thoughts? Retire or keep using it? Same question about slings - is it safe to use a slight at the top of a climb just for anchors if it's 13/14 years old?

thanks

Pedro50 20 Oct 2022
In reply to climbingnoob:

The answer to these questions is always the same:

It's probably fine but if you have any doubts you'll climb like shit. Replace.

If you're going to Thailand you can afford a new harness.

Post edited at 21:24
 elsewhere 20 Oct 2022

Almost certainly or close to the safest part of your day out climbing. Your sandwiches are probably more dangerous.

Unlike to your sandwiches, the quality of the harness has been tested in use by tens of thousands of people. If it were dangerous somebody else who uses old harnesses more regularly would probably have found out already.

Before and after the introduction of use by dates, there was/is no record of reports saying accident caused by old gear.

Harness failures are so rare they get reported internationally.

Post edited at 21:27
 Dave Cundy 20 Oct 2022

Half my stuff is 15 years old (and counting).  Rope, harness, large nuts on rope.

It's more a question of condition rather than age.  When it gets worn and fluffy, or your climbing partners make sarcastic comments about it's age, that's when it's time to chuck it.

PS.  I did buy a new rope and harness recently.   My mates were kind enough to take the piss ...

Iamgregp 20 Oct 2022

Whenever anyone asks if gear is ok I say the same thing. If it looks and feels fine then it is. Modern climbing gear is not designed so that it can develop an unsafe, dangerous weakness in an undetectable way. 

Mr Lopez 20 Oct 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Whenever anyone asks if gear is ok I say the same thing. If it looks and feels fine then it is. Modern climbing gear is not designed so that it can develop an unsafe, dangerous weakness in an undetectable way. 

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/stories/experience-story-qc-lab...

Cbee20191 20 Oct 2022

Am I the only one that thought the harness is 2.8 years old because I saw the / as a division?

Iamgregp 20 Oct 2022
In reply to Mr Lopez:

So the grey stitching had turned pink?  

I think if I noticed that part of my harness had changed colour for some unknown reason I’d count that as not looking fine?! 

CantClimbTom 21 Oct 2022

Inspect it, Very thoroughly every single mm of it. Look for wear and frays, check the stitching etc etc. Especially load points, like belay loop and where that crosses the legs and waist webbing. If in doubt.. chuck it out.

But if it was stored well (dry, out of the light, no chemicals or mould) and still looks new, to a very thorough inspection. It'll be fine

Petrafied 21 Oct 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Would a harness used 6 times have any of these wear signs?

CantClimbTom 21 Oct 2022

Most likely not, but it's possible (albeit highly unlikely).

But almost always when I inspect things, they're stuff I think is undamaged. Anything unused for a long time should be inspected and stuff in regular use should be periodically inspected in addition to checking as you go. That's my just opinion..

Andy Hardy 21 Oct 2022

Is a harness bought for a 10 year old going to fit?

jkarran 21 Oct 2022

Most of my stuff is 20+ years old and very well used. I'd use it without pause but If it bothers you, replace it.

jk

jkarran 21 Oct 2022
In reply to Petrafied:

> Would a harness used 6 times have any of these wear signs?

No but rodents nibble things.

jk

LastBoyScout 21 Oct 2022

My 2 harnesses are dated 2001 - I'm still using them for the local wall and messing around top-roping with the kids. I know who's used them, how they've been stored and what level of falls they've had. I'll buy new ones if I get back into leading hard things again.

Edit - I'm hanging on to these as long as I think reasonable, as they were the last of the double-back buckles and I've never been a fan of the slide-lock style!

I've got 2 kiddy full-body harnesses dated 2003 and a kiddy sit harness dated 2009. Same comments as above, plus I don't think top roping a ~20kg kid is really stressing them anyway.

I'm picking up a new kiddy harness this weekend for my eldest.

I'd agree with Andy that your biggest issue is going to be size, not age of harness.

Post edited at 09:10
 Ian W 21 Oct 2022

The harness itself will be absolutely fine, safety wise. however I would suggest buying a new one, as you'll be buying it for yourself, and it will be better for you for several years to come. There's no need to spend a fortune; plenty available for £40 - £60 that will be better than the one you have, and get one suited to the type of climbing you do most (all day comfort / carrying lots of gear vs short pitch sport, for eg). Dont know where you live, but there are still shops out there that will be able to help you get a good'un.

E2A - assumption time here, but a harness bought for a 10 year old was either a kids harness, or bought on mainly price grounds with little thought given to its probable use (thats not meant as a criticism if it sounds like one). Your requirements are almost certainly utterly different, and while it might not matter so much down the local wall, you dont want to be buggering about in an unsuitable harness whilst on a climbing holiday on the other side of the world.

Post edited at 09:55
 hang_about 21 Oct 2022

If you're asking this question now, feet on the ground, nice and safe, imagine asking the same question when about to lower off. If that gives you a shudder, I'd buy a new harness.

dunc56 21 Oct 2022

Isn't the main worry - UV exposure ? So if it was out of the sun then that would give me more confidence. 

dunc56 21 Oct 2022
In reply to dunc56:

To the disliker - would you care to expand please ? 

muppetfilter 21 Oct 2022
In reply to dunc56:

I've given you a like and absolutely agree with your statement, its UV and contamination that would be factors to consider in this situation. If it had been in a bedroom cupboard then as you say a good point, if it's been in the shed or garage with old leaky car baterys and various rusty tins of Dulux then not so ideal.

Also if the OP is to buy a harness it's really worth going to try it on in a shop and trying it on in a thin T-Shirt to see how comfy it is, a cheap internet purchase could be uncomfortable.

Post edited at 14:32
climbingnoob 22 Oct 2022

I'm just going to buy a new harness. My harness is some 13/4 years old and even though it hasn't been used, a few of my climbing friends said they think I should retire it, and that seems the manufacturer's consensus too. No point risking my life for the sake of £60 odd quid. 

Also going to retire my old slings and quickdraw dogbones which are older than the harness I think!

To be honest, I think i'd be fine using the harness lowering off as it looks and feels solid, and there are two loops (one by the waist and one that goes through the legs) - and it's highly unlikely both will fail (fatal fall) on a static lower off. Old harness is now officially retired

Also, dunc56, I agree about the UV. not used mine enough for the UV to be a significant factor though. I'm more of a boulderer these days but would like to get back into lead as I age - body is struggling to take the physicality of bouldering these days!

Post edited at 11:50
 ColdWill 23 Oct 2022

I have a rucksac that is far older than that and had far more abuse and is still going strong aside from abrasion. It's made of the same material as my harness so I personally wouldn't worry.

climbingnoob 01 Nov 2022
In reply to ColdWill:

Yeh but you're not potentially trusting your life on that old rucksack, but I would be on my harness when 100's of ft up! I've retired my harness. It was manufactured in 2009. According to the shop guy, harnesses have a recommended shelf life of 10 years unused. With wear and tear etc it was suggested optimal time to retire would be 6/7 years, and probably sooner if the harness has been properly abused!

Post edited at 10:31
 ColdWill 01 Nov 2022

You've answered your own question then. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...