(in stock) mountaineering trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 07 Jul 2020

After something for cooler days, alpine rock, Scottish summer with showers, etc.

Ukc recommends rab torque, montane alpine stretch... Not sure whether either are still made but they're certainly not in stock in many sizes and certainly not in mine (34-36 long)

What alternatives are out there now?

tehmarks 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Norrona falketind flex1. I'm on my second pair and would swear by them - the first pair were well abused and were eventually retired to rock climbing trousers after four years, still perfectly serviceable (until I tore a huge L-shaped hole in one leg at home the other day ). Well impressed considering how light the material is.

They wouldn't be my first choice for intentionally goin out into grim weather, but they're perfect for summer alpine (and the legs are sensible and very crampon-compatible - no billowing material) and general play in the UK mountains when it's not properly blowing a hoolie.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/falketind/falketind-flex1-pants-men/

I don't know how the sizing would work for you, but they are in stock on the Norrona website.

Simond Rock 2?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-rock-2-trousers-grey-id_8545043.html

Check the sizing; Decathlon sizes are small... I have the previous Rock pants, and, even going for my usual 'up one size', they're very snug...

OP Stone Muppet 07 Jul 2020

Decathlon price certainly attacts! I wonder why they haven't classed them as a softshell - are they vaguely windproof?

wilkesley 07 Jul 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

I remember trying on several different types of trousers in Decathlon a few years ago. I agree that you need to try a larger size than usual. However, I found that all sizes had very narrow legs and I have match stick legs!

TobyA 07 Jul 2020

They make loads of "softshell" trousers that go in their 'mountain walking' range (normally Quechua I think) alongside the Simond ones sold specifically for alpinism. If you can get to Decathlon, it is well worth going and having a look - so many options, and at a price that makes it hard to go back to the bigger brands afterwards! I still regularly use some 15 year old Quechua softshells - they are better than the Patagonia Guide Pant that I bought before that - better fit, better features, better cut etc. But the Decathlon ones probably cost a fifth of the price of the Patagonias.

They are a dual weave, high stretch softshell. Very like the Rab...

They're not as windproof as some of their other, closer weave fabrics, but they're not bad. Very much intended for the stretch bit for climbing. Note the repositioned pockets from the previous version; from hips to upper thigh. Supposedly to keep the hipline free for climbing, and clear of harness. I've not tried this model, so I'd have to try them with a harness; not sure I'm convinced they will be clear of leg loops...

ps. You're unlikely to find their Simond line in store, though I guess stores near climbing areas might. Order in for no quibble return.

Post edited at 12:17

If you're after something for cooler days, there's always these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-trousers-sh520-x-warm-red-id_8526020.html

Other colours are available, but not at that price...

In reply to captain paranoia:

> If you're after something for cooler days, there's always these:

I decided to go for a pair, despite the bonkers colour. I thought I might just get away with it skiing or winter walking.

But, despite buying the size I've bought from decathlon for years, they don't fit at all. Very tight in the thighs (and, although I'm a cyclist, I don't have big legs), and could barely do them up, at which point they verged on the obscene... So, back they go. Shame, because they seem nicely featured, and good fabrics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...