[HELP] Cleaning mould from sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samlikesrocks 19 Jan 2022

Hello, 

My girlfriend and I left our sleeping bags in my van and they've had the odd spot of white fluffy mould form on them.

Ideally I want to spot clean them instead of washing the whole bags. However I need to make sure the mould is fully gone. 

The spots of mould are about the size of a small dinner plate in total. One bag is synthetic, one is down.

So, has anyone got experience doing this? 

What did you use to kill the mould without damaging the bag? 

I am considering white vinegar and water mix? Then keeping them by the radiator for a few days to fully dry out the mouldy spots. 

Thanks for your time, 

Sam

Andy Manthorpe 19 Jan 2022
In reply to samlikesrocks:

The synthetic bag I would put straight in a washing machine at 60 deg C if the washing instructions allow, 40 if not. Then I would try dabbing on clear vinegar to the down bag and letting it dry fully.

OP samlikesrocks 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Great, I'll do that. Thanks!

How much normal powder detergent? Or do I need to buy the special Nikwax Tech wash? 

Andy Manthorpe 20 Jan 2022

I usually use a little less detergent than normal and put it on a synthetic wash with extra water. An extra rinse to get rid of the detergent may be needed.

BruceM 21 Jan 2022

I've had this problem several times.  Just sent the down bags in for a good pro duvet/sleeping bag wash at some established dry cleaners.  Freshened them up well.  And all seems (as well as the seams) good 10 years later.

I did clean one smaller lighter down bag myself by just sticking it outside in the sun for some hours to try to kill the mould, then brushed it off well outside.  Then wiped it well with just warm water before doing a manual wash in a bath with natural soap flakes.  Followed by lots of rinses and LOTS of days drying and refluffing inside (no drier).  It's pretty hard work and requires good warm sunny conditions. 

Hence the pro wash method for the other higher end bags (I think was about £30 each).

Jon Greengrass 21 Jan 2022

The spots are just the part of the fungus you can see, the inside of the bag could be ridden with it.

+1 for getting the down bag professionally washed and tumble dried. My washing machine and tumble drier are big enough to do it at home using Nikwax Downwash, gives great results.

OP samlikesrocks 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Good point! I've bought some tech wash today, I'll pop them in the washing machine one after the other tomorrow! Turns out my girlfriends bag is synthetic too, happy days.. Thanks for the help guys  

In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Good idea, I'll make sure they're rinsed a few times each. I've bought some tech wash today, I'll pop them in the washing machine one after the other tomorrow! Turns out my girlfriends bag is synthetic too, happy days.. Thanks for the help   

In reply to BruceM:

It does seem like hard work indeed! I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me  

wercat 22 Jan 2022

moulds and fungi do not like vinegar.  They do not like it up 'em!

good for bathing feet for athletes foot and soaking feet till they shrumple is a good preventative.  Dry afterwards do not rinse  The roman army marched on vinegar

Post edited at 12:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...