Help choosing a new hardshell jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Hughes 30 Jan 2013
So I've just got back from a week in scotland and very promptly returned my new point five jacket as the goretex was in sight around the hips from where my harness had sat, not impressed to say the least!
So I'm now in search of a new hardshell, its the second jacket that has let me down that has been the north face so looking to take my custom to another brand, I'm pretty skinny and tall, so often find jackets quite roomy.

Pretty much an all rounder, getting into winter climbing this year too,

Cheers,
Adam
 Cameron94 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Mountain equipment kamatcha is a cracker. I found it quite a skinny fit (one base and midlayer) so could work well with you. I won't bore you with details you can find yourself but it's a full spec mountaineering jacket! I would buy it again but it's going strong so I can't see that happening for quite a while.
Only thing I don't like about it is the way the toggles can whip around in the wind unless tied up, this isn't a problem wearing a helmet as there is less slack out.
 Fluvial 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

Mountain equipment or Rab neither have let me down. Currently have a Rab latok which I have always found to be very good and prefer eVent to goretex but that's personal preference
 Wee Davie 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

I just started using a Rab Stretch Neo jacket. I've only been out in it 3 times but I have to say the breathability of it is very impressive (much better than my previous Goretex shells). Might be one to consider.
 MtnGeekUK 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

What size are you?

Have an xl ME Tupilak II going?
OP Adam Hughes 31 Jan 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: I'm usually between a small and medium, always have to try things on first to check sizes as they all differ slightly
 wilkie14c 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:
I think that TNF have lost their way over the last ten years or so and I no longer even look at what they have to offer. I buy stuff purely designed for climbing. Look at Mountain Equiment, RAB, Mountain Hardware and brands like that. My winter hardshell is a Marmot Spire and is the best jacket I have ever owned <and I've spent a lot of cash on goretex over the years!>
 McGuinness 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Crux flak- Bombproof.
 fire_munki 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:
My Mountain Hardware seams hard wearing, had it since 2011 and looks in good nick still.
Not sure what the model was but it was over £300 and full on mountaineering style.
 BnB 31 Jan 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Adam Hughes)
> I think that TNF have lost their way over the last ten years or so and I no longer even look at what they have to offer. I buy stuff purely designed for climbing. Look at Mountain Equiment, RAB, Mountain Hardware and brands like that. My winter hardshell is a Marmot Spire and is the best jacket I have ever owned <and I've spent a lot of cash on goretex over the years!>

Couln't agree more. I have a Marmot Spire too. Still going strong after four or five years all-year round action.
 IainMacG 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:
I'd second the Rab Neo Stretch.
I'm also tall (6'4") and skinny but fit is good - nice long sleeves!

Iain
 Neil Pratt 31 Jan 2013
In reply to IainMacG:

After years spending money on laminates, I've recently (and somewhat reluctantly) converted to Paramo - most of their designs are a bit crap and fiddly, but the material works really well, comes with a lifetime guarantee and if it gets damaged, you can send it back to them and they can replace entire panels of material for not a lot of cash.

If you're tall and slim, it might be worth looking at Furtech for a winter shell - they tend to have a trimmer cut and I believe they have some of their Claw jackets back in stock.
 Pero 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Is the problem that jackets are too short for you? I'm 6'5" and i had a lot of trouble finding anything long enough in the sleeves and body. Or had a hood that could go over a helmet.

The comments on Rab being a long fit are interesting as I always had them down as strictly for wee guys!

Mountain Equipment used to be great for me, but I think they've shortened their fit now.

OP Adam Hughes 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Pero: I actually find the body length fine, but I struggle with the arms often being long and baggy, I'm just under 6ft tall but pretty skinny!
 davy_boy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: i would check out mountain hardwear range been using one of there goretex shells for around 4 years through all conditions in scotland and the alps for climbing walking and skiing/touring still in great condition and fully waterproof. by far the best piece of kit that iv ever bought. i am thinking about a ME changabang as a replacement though as i like the idea of a powder skirt for the ski days.
 Radioactiveman 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

My ME tupilak II seems to be standing up to everything I have thrown at it so far.

Had it 18 months and used it for summer and winter stuff,carrying a pack,wearing a harness and it is nice and robust in high wear areas whilst still being light.I only paid £60 in the sale for it but I would be happy to buy one at full retail after living with it.
In reply to Adam Hughes:

If Arc'teryx is within your budget then I would recommend if you're looking for serious durability. My Pro Shell Fission SV has taken a beating and still looks like new. Haven't tried their new N80px fabric or whatever its called yet though. Expensive stuff but when you're having an epic and you know it's bombproof that £50 extra you spent is suddenly not so important!
 Mike7 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

If you buy the Sherpa version, can you post back with a real world review?

I like the look (ethic? - both..?) of the kit, but have some questions first.

Cheers!
 Bloodfire 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: I second the Arcteryx stuff. I went through jackets and then just bit the bullet and got an Alpha sv, It's jacket nirvana.
 MGrock 01 Feb 2013
Mountain Equipment, great jackets and lots of styles
 Marcus Tierney 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: I bought a Montane Superfly XT Event fabric. It has never been waterproof, the sleeves pilled up and the seams have discoloured. I have loads of Montane stuff but this was the biggest disappointment of any outdoor wear I have ever bought. So cant recommend that one to you.
 The New NickB 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

An alternative point of view, although one I present regularly. Get a cheap lightish one, put it in your sac for when things turn crap and actually do all your climbing in a much lighter, much more breathable wind proof.

I have a Patagonia Rainshadow that cost £80 and lives in my sac 95% of the time, so after 6 years is as new.
 Bobbsy 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:

I have similar build to you, just picked up a Marmot Alpinist 1/2 price at Cotswolds. Seems brilliant so far. It replaced a Mountain Hardwear that had taken about 8 years of abuse - the reason I didn't go for MH again, simply that the Marmot was a marginally longer cut, and was much cheaper on sale, whilst still seeming pretty much bombproof.
zlipid 02 Feb 2013
My ME Kongur's been absolutely great (had it for a year now) - it's cut pretty long too so might be a good fit for you.
 Rock Badger 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: Mountain equipment OGRE, or KONGUR, good for tall lanky folk
 Puppythedog 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: I have the Sherpa hardshell and the North Ridge one. I would happily wear either anywhere, one costs 200 the other can be got for about a ton.
 Nathan Adam 02 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Another vote for this approach.
 ravedave1806 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: rab latok 3 layer event beauty! Never let a drop in!
 alasdair19 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: give paramo a try, they last forever and work extremly well.

Only drawback is fairly heavy and on the warm side, if you want goretex i've liked marmot in the past and currently have a arcteryx Alpha SV which i like a lot. It'sbe been used fairly heavily and seems to to be wearing well.

outside have the new version for £400 which may even make it price comparable to someof the competitionf

I did a instructor day with Kimber 5 out of 6 us were in paramo....
 andrusht84 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes: I'm 6'3 and have a ME kongur mrt jacket in large which is great, however I also have a montane extreme smock in size large which I mostly use for winter
 Alex Ekins 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Pero:
I'm 6'4 and the latest Rab gear seems to have really long sleeves. The Baseline Hoody and the Stretch Neo in XL both fit me really well. The Stretch Neo definitely has longer sleeves than my older Latok Alpine
 neuromancer 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Ditch_Jockey:

I liked my paramo jacket, but the only people they can possibly fit are short and rotund. I'll look up furtech.
DoverPiker 03 Feb 2013
I have a both paramo aspira trousers and top, both of which I have had altered, 2-3 inches added to the top: material taken out of the body and sleeves and an extra couple of inches added to the sleeve length.

Obviously they charge for this, I think it was about 30 quid for the trousers and about 50 ish for the smock. In my view worth it to get something that fits properly. I am 6ft 5 and skinny so hard to find stuff that fits well.

The top is a better fit than the trousers which I have always found a bit baggy. Because of this and after trying a few diff pairs on I purchased a pair of Theta sv salopettes (medium/long leg length) which are just long enough and a good trim fit in in the leg. Purchased in the sale from 'Outside'.
 pff 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Marcus Tierney: I can second that Marcus, and I can third it. I was sent a replacement super fly xt ,and it went the same way as the first. So that now I have two super fly xt s and none of them are any good.Their non waterproof kit is good tho. (that doesnt include super fly xt).
OP Adam Hughes 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Mike7: I know a fair bit about Sherpa kit, feel free to ask questions if ya like

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...