Helmet for Climb/cycle??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NigelHurst 21 Mar 2017
I have neither a climbing or cycle helmet and do both. I know I really do need one for each but to save expense is there a particular difference between climbing and cycling helmets. I'm thinking of the expanded foam ones that offer top of head for falling debris etc and rim protection for side impacts.

Are there helmets on the market that serve both purposes or are requirements and safety tests too different?
 Jim Lancs 21 Mar 2017
I'm sure my Decathlon (Simond) helmet is labelled for both.
 TobyA 21 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

There are or at least have been helmets that are certified for both - Petzl meteors for example. But, cycling helmets are so cheap now, it might be worth getting two separate ones. Sadly (?) if you go to Decathlon you'll get a decent bike lid and their light foam Simond helmet for less than a lot of big brand bike or climbing helmets cost alone.
Dheorl 21 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

I'd personally see it as a bit too much of a compromise. Cycling helmets are designed for maximum ventilation with protection focused on impact against planar surfaces.

Protecting from falling rocks etc will greatly minimise the amount of ventilation possible.

I think unless you're planning on cycling and then climbing and want to have to carry less, the cheapest option for each will be better than one designed to do both.
 dr_botnik 21 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

I've got a petzl meteor. I find it quite light and well ventilated but it definitely looks more like a climbing helmet than a cycling one. Don't know if you're that fashion conscious to care, but it also means i regularly have people "tell me off" for not wearing the right kind of helmet for cycling...
 girlymonkey 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim Lancs:

I have the same one. I mostly use it for climbing, but when I cycle to work and need a climbing helmet with me for work, I ride in it. It's OK to ride in, but it's not as well ventilated and also doesn't have the visor. I wouldn't use it as my main bike helmet, but it is fine.
OP NigelHurst 22 Mar 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

not fashion conscious and that'd be better than people currently telling me off for not wearing one at all (I don't cycle regularly but am planning to, hence need for a helmet)
 Castleman 22 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

Look up multi-sport, or adventure racing helmets. Several exist, but you pay a premium for them.
 PPP 22 Mar 2017
In reply to TobyA:

That's not true, latest Petzl Meteor helmet (4) is not certified for such use.
https://www.petzl.com/EN/Sport/FAQ/is-METEOR-helmet-certified-for-cycling
 Dave the Rave 22 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

I use a Petzyl Meteor 3. It's great. I fell on my head with it on hard cobbles at about 3mph and undoubtedly it saved me from a TBI. I should have retired it perhaps, but there's only a dent in the side.
It's got headlamp mountings which fit most head torches.
 Brass Nipples 22 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

No you don't need a helmet for either. So if happy as you are then carry on.

nniff 23 Mar 2017
In reply to davnig:

I don't now, but I used to wear a Grivel Airtech for both climbing and cycling. It's fairly well ventilated and worked well enough.

When I got more serious about cycling I got a good cycling helmet to get extra ventilation.

I think I'd be happier wearing the Grivel helmet cycling than I would a cheap bike helmet.

OP NigelHurst 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

that is the only one i found that is certified both but not available anymore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...