Helinox Ground Chair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 03 Jun 2021

A thing we discovered cycle touring is that no where to sit is not relaxing. 2 Ground Chairs weighs the same as one D lock, which we are thinking is surplus to requirements.

Has anyone much experience of these.

https://helinox.eu/collections/all-chairs/products/ground-chair?variant=393...

phizz4 03 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

Several of us use a version of the Helinox when sea kayak camping. Brilliantly comfortable.

J1234 03 Jun 2021
In reply to phizz4:

Ah Sea Kayaking, my first lesson is end of the month. I guess that in Sea Kayaking weight is not quite as critical. Have you also got the ground sheet thing to stop the legs sinking into the ground. The design of this one seems to avoid that issue.

mike123 03 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234: cotswold in Keswick have them on display and very nice they looked to . But £90 ? Really ? Surely the boys and girls at alpkit could easily knock something similar out for half that . I used to have a gizmo that a thermarest folded into to make a chair ,it  probably had a silly name, it did the job , might be worth investigating ?   

In reply to J1234:

I love mine.....get one !

DaveHK 04 Jun 2021
In reply to mike123:

> I used to have a gizmo that a thermarest folded into to make a chair ,it  probably had a silly name, it did the job , might be worth investigating ?   

These are great for bike touring. I don't even put the thermarest in it, works well enough without. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-mats-c58/mat-...

jimtitt 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

I've a couple of cheapo ones, popular in the motorcycling world. Comfortable, hard to get out of when you are old and stiff! Somehow a bit bulky when folded with the plastic bits but guess that's life.

They have held out about 6 weeks camping so far and my son and I are in the 90-100kg region. Probably get an inflatable chair next since I'm already carrying an electric pump.

phizz4 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

Yes, weight/space is less of an issue (as long as you keep space for the beverage of  your choice). I include 4 plastic furniture cups to put under the legs if I am camped on a sandy beach, but a bit of driftwood would do the same job.

J1234 04 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

They do look an option.

I think the only answer is to test them both. I am prepared to spend the money on the right thing.

jethro kiernan 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

I’ve used one mountain camping and I’m sold, it made the morning coffee so much more relaxed, they don’t take up that much space and the weight is minimal unless your a total weight weenie, I’ve used the old style thermarest seats and the helinox is better because it puts you higher up in a more relaxing position. Having said that you can use the thermarest in a tent the helinox would eat ground sheets.

Chmusar 10 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

I bought some from Ali express over a year ago about £15 each, have used extensively and no issues but it is worth getting some cups for the feet as they do sink into soft ground 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...