Heel Burstitis(?) caused by climbing shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cookacat 18 Jan 2019

Hello UKC,

I've recently noticed an itchy, sore, warm, irritated bump on both my heels, a little online research seems to point to burstitis (I've had similar things a couple of times in both feet). My question is this: could it be caused by my climbing shoes? I've worn Anasazi Verdes for the last 5ish years, quite a snug fit, could the aggressive heel be putting pressure on my achilles and causing the burstitis? If so, would a more relaxed shoe be better for day to day use (wall training etc)? 

Would appreciate any thoughts, either from people with experience of similar problems or just general opinions about the shoes as well (comfort, pain etc).

Thanks UKC!

In reply to cookacat:

> I've worn Anasazi

There's your problem.

Tigger 18 Jan 2019
In reply to cookacat:

Yea too tight Anasazi set my heel spurs off (Haglunds deformity). Try some shoes with a lower tension sling shot rand / thinner rubber around the heel. I find Ocun Ozone's and Tenaya Iati's pretty comfy despit my large bone spurs. The best fitting shoes for me though are modified Miura VS's. With any luck though you've only got inflamation with no bone growth, ive also been told Sportiva Mythos are great for spurs. 

There's plenty of advice online but I'd retire the Anasazi's asap find something comfy. Do a couple of sets of heel dips a day to stretch you Achilles. In the mean time avoiding dress shoes will help, boots will be quite comfy and tie up laces to avoid the backs of your shoes rubbing on the inflamed area.

An example of what I mean regarding my Miuras can be found using this link. I didn't have to remove as much material as the tensions band nearly sits above my spurs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+sportiva+haglund%27s+deformity&tbm=i...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...